My new goal

The future of flat glass tinting is not looking bright. The days of inefficient OE glass are over. Building code a number of years ago mandated new construction meet certain energy requirements in order to even get a building permit. That code has gotten even more strict and more demanding over the years. In the next couple years the only way windows will meet the  U value requirements will be to use triple pane. That is going to be a death nail for film. ...Don't believe me......ask yourself what film mfr has developed any new flat glass films in the past few years......I don't think Eastman even knows they have a flat glass line anymore... Thy have hap hazzardly cobbled together a "new" line of exterior films...basically their same solar films with AG coating and PS adhesive. ...Exterior film will be the next phase of large solar film projects..simply because interior application will never result in a ROI under 20 years. .....and I have zero interest hanging film on a swing stage.

1 hour ago, TomTint said:

The future of flat glass tinting is not looking bright. The days of inefficient OE glass are over. Building code a number of years ago mandated new construction meet certain energy requirements in order to even get a building permit. That code has gotten even more strict and more demanding over the years. In the next couple years the only way windows will meet the  U value requirements will be to use triple pane. That is going to be a death nail for film. ...Don't believe me......ask yourself what film mfr has developed any new flat glass films in the past few years......I don't think Eastman even knows they have a flat glass line anymore... Thy have hap hazzardly cobbled together a "new" line of exterior films...basically their same solar films with AG coating and PS adhesive. ...Exterior film will be the next phase of large solar film projects..simply because interior application will never result in a ROI under 20 years. .....and I have zero interest hanging film on a swing stage.

Why are you so negative towards anything film related? 

2 hours ago, TomTint said:

The days of inefficient OE glass are over.

I don't so much disagree with that - but that's only with new construction. There is still a ton of homes/offices built before new codes. Granted, over time that's gonna be less and less... but I think it's gonna take more then a few years to get thru that. (Depending on area of course) 

1 hour ago, jh812 said:

Why are you so negative towards anything film related? 

Been at it since 1985... the same problems the industry has today..were the same as they were back then. The industry has not evolved with the times nearly as fast as other construction aspects  OEM glass for example. Film mfrs should be looking to the future and developing products ...not waiting 5-8-10 years to come up with outdated bandaids. In the not too distant future glass. Will be a source of energy production in buildings and homes... this should have been on film mfrs front burner to develop..but it's not. Why am I negative about film ? ...because I see mfrs blowing smoke up dealers backside about sell sell sell...dealers who are not looking at the big picture don't see the train coming... IMO if you are going to invest your time into building a business for the future...winder tints ain't the best option. .02

59 minutes ago, Roach said:

I don't so much disagree with that - but that's only with new construction. There is still a ton of homes/offices built before new codes. Granted, over time that's gonna be less and less... but I think it's gonna take more then a few years to get thru that. (Depending on area of course) 

That's small thinking. ..would you commit to a business that has a known declining market....it's like deciding to open up a asbestos manufacturering plant because it's going to be popular for the next 5-10 years ... 

2 minutes ago, TomTint said:

would you commit to a business that has a known declining market

Nope. But for those that are currently, and I hate to use this phrase, but 'in the business'..... But with anything, you gotta be able to pivot. Whether that means an exit strategy or whatever....

You're comparing apples to oranges with asbestos and window tint. However I just tinted a home for a removal and inspection company that has grown and done very well in that industry. To say the window tint industry is declining is completely asinine. No I haven't been doing this since the 80's but I've seen nothing but growth in my business. I am so thankful that I'm not a completely negative person and can actually see myself making a good career in this industry. 

1 hour ago, jh812 said:

You're comparing apples to oranges with asbestos and window tint. However I just tinted a home for a removal and inspection company that has grown and done very well in that industry. To say the window tint industry is declining is completely asinine. No I haven't been doing this since the 80's but I've seen nothing but growth in my business. I am so thankful that I'm not a completely negative person and can actually see myself making a good career in this industry. 

I wish you the best of luck. Everyone has a different goal and different expectations and that's great. Some people in this industry are happy and can live comfortably earning 1000.00 a week. Others need to bring in 25k and more a week to keep everyone paid. And the lights on. ..that's the nature of the business. Not just this one but all businesses. And yes, the film market is declining. And declining rapidly in the solar market nationally. One of the major high end mfrs was down millions is sales last year..and this year is going to be worse. If not for auto film and secuy film... many mfrs would be downsizing and consolidating. 

1 hour ago, TomTint said:

I wish you the best of luck. Everyone has a different goal and different expectations and that's great. Some people in this industry are happy and can live comfortably earning 1000.00 a week. Others need to bring in 25k and more a week to keep everyone paid. And the lights on. ..that's the nature of the business. Not just this one but all businesses. And yes, the film market is declining. And declining rapidly in the solar market nationally. One of the major high end mfrs was down millions is sales last year..and this year is going to be worse. If not for auto film and secuy film... many mfrs would be downsizing and consolidating. 

Not arguing with that at all but that's every industry as far as downsizing. I've spoke to several that have grown to that magnitude and they say they made just as much when they were a one man band. I don't plan on adding a bunch of employees but I will go the direction my customers take me.