My new goal

4 hours ago, TomTint said:

If not for auto film and secuy film

What about deco? I know you do a lot of that.... I'd think that would kindof always be there like security.  Have you seen that increase or decrease over the past 2-3 years? 

2 minutes ago, Roach said:

What about deco? I know you do a lot of that.... I'd think that would kindof always be there like security.  Have you seen that increase or decrease over the past 2-3 years? 

We are 90+% deco. That market is still strong, but as I said 3 years ago...it's beginning to get whored out just like every other film. A few years ago few had their own print capabilities..most relied on 2 of 3 sources..that's changed as well. Now there are numerous shops who also have in house printers. 

Serious question here Tom, and with all due respect.  Do you think that a business model of getting the most work at the lowest price could have something to do with the overall negativity and outlook on the market? Because after all a cut throat volume business is typically at the tip of the spear when it comes to vulnerability in market shifts.   

Edited by Tint Eastwood

3 hours ago, Tint Eastwood said:

Serious question here Tom, and with all due respect.  Do you think that a business model of getting the most work at the lowest price could have something to do with the overall negativity and outlook on the market? Because after all a cut throat volume business is typically at the tip of the spear when it comes to vulnerability in market shifts.   

Depends on your model and goals. My negatively on the market is based on how I see the future of the industry evolving...or better yet ...the lack of evolvement within the industry. How you or I operate is irrelevant to what is happening in the market... we are all virtually at the mercy of the mfrs developing new products and bringing them to market for us to sell....and they are not. ...Big picture here ... OE glass of today is already incredibly efficient..to the point where adding film will in some cases not show a ROI for 20+ years..at today's prices. Film costs will continue to rise pushing that ROI back even longer. New glass standards will be triple pane and thus virtually impossible eliminating film potential on the inside..and exterior will still take 20 years to recover costs. This is going to crush the commercial solar market..very soon. Yes..there are older buildings with old glass that may be here and there but they are disappearing fast and being remodeled with high quality glass. Is this business going to die tomorrow ? No. But in 5-10 years solar will be a fraction of what it is today. ..the guy who does not mind running around tinting a few sliders and a few double hung windows a day in homes will be just fine. But the days of film being utilized as a ECM on large scale is coming to the end. .....kind of like the yellow pages....

Edited by TomTint

My main point here is the model we each operate in is completely relevant to the projections we give on what the market is doing. So a conversation about the future of the industry between you and me may be compared to a conversation that Amazon would have with a local general store. Both are talking fruit......but it's apples and oranges.

Wonder what the kumquats take on this is..... :chin 

11 minutes ago, Tint Eastwood said:

My main point here is the model we each operate in is completely relevant to the projections we give on what the market is doing. So a conversation about the future of the industry between you and me may be compared to a conversation that Amazon would have with a local general store. Both are talking fruit......but it's apples and oranges.

Wonder what the kumquats take on this is..... :chin 

think of solar film like the yellow pages...of course there are going to be a certain segment of the population who do not have the know how or technology to google things... But that population is dying everyday. At some point..they will be all but a memory. How you operate your business and how anyone else dos has zero bearing on the sustainability of said yellow pages. In fact if anything, the small mom and pop general store may be more at risk due to their inability to switch gears in time. 

If your sole argument is that solar won't be around forever then I think it's safe to say we agree, I guess we just differ on the rate of decline, as they apply to us individually. The standards of new construction in metro america are light years away from Everyday, USA. Triple pane glass is no where even close to the standard here, so I dare say a quarter......if not half of the country even knows what low-e or triple pane is. I do agree that a hefty percentage of the metro/commercial solar will dry up and I am thankful I didn't model my business around that percentage. :beer 

33 minutes ago, Tint Eastwood said:

If your sole argument is that solar won't be around forever then I think it's safe to say we agree, I guess we just differ on the rate of decline, as they apply to us individually. The standards of new construction in metro america are light years away from Everyday, USA. Triple pane glass is no where even close to the standard here, so I dare say a quarter......if not half of the country even knows what low-e or triple pane is. I do agree that a hefty percentage of the metro/commercial solar will dry up and I am thankful I didn't model my business around that percentage. :beer 

What is coming down the tracks is national building standards.....trust me....they are coming to metro America as well. Weather local towns adopt them and I force them is largely in the hands of each local building dept. But given the way municipalities are risk adverse..they will adapt quickly in order to minimize potential legal exposure.