YOUR Thoughts on flexfilm

Guest Killerbear

18 hours ago, Glass Tinting Supplies said:

Hi Killerbear,

Whilst I can't claim to have to have any personal experience installing Flexfilm, I wanted to put forward an observation in the hope it will help folks avoid potential future frustration.

Many on this board have witnessed the birth and progression of Flexfilm. From the start there were clouds lurking over the integrity of the owner of the business.

We've seen some very unhappy individuals come out of the woodwork that have stressed their anger regarding the outcome of using the said products from Flexfilm for a prolonged period. Many expressing their concerns and some warning others from learning the difficult lesson they had to face.

Some individuals that supply products to businesses stand behind their goods and take care of those that have trusted them to help take their business to the next level. Some are interested in themselves and when things go wrong, they are ready to blame others for their failures and construct a story to weasel their way out of having to follow through with the things they promised at the beginning.

With this said it does come as a surprise at times when I see some of the angry former Flex customers that we don't see the owner defend his position. To his credit some how manages to just make up a story, ignore the issues until they go away and wipe himself off and keep going for the next potential sale.

There is a few of us that refer to him as 'Teflon Ralph'. Simply because it seems like nothing sticks.

As a solution to a new film option, could I suggest looking for a product that has a proven track record. Forget price, it's all relative. There is some great products available from companies like Eastman and Garware (And others) that have been given good feedback here from some of the best installers on TintDude.

I hope this helps.

Michael.

Very well said ^^^^, There are some old timers on this page from time to time...like myself... 

If I can give and newbie some advice that I would hope they take, it would be to look at the long term view of your business. If you are actplanning on making this trade your career, look to one of the main suppliers for your film source. They are the ones who will have all the resources you will need as you grow and develop your business. Material cost is always something you need to keep in mind, but more important than saving 10.00 on a roll of film, is building your companies reputation. All it takes is 1 unhappy customer, and that customer will tell 25 people of their bad experience.. And dealing with 2nd or 3rd rate material will produce plenty of these customers. 

That's not to say the big guys don't have their share of problems, they all do. But, they also have the resources to fix those problems... the Flex film types.. maybe not so much. Again...think long term. I started in 1985, I know just a little about what I speak. 

The fact he started selling the same film under a different name and tried to keep it a secret tells you everything you need to know.  Then offer it with a no warranty option since you're not really going to get one any way.  At least you can get Flexfilm cheaper from the TintClub website...that is a win I guess.  I mean, can you imagine a large film manufacturer during that?

• 1 year later...

I am the owner of Flexfilm.  I honestly don't come to this forum much because I have found that I can check in once a year and catch up on everything in about 10 minutes.  

People often misunderstand our business model.  I will be the first to admit that we have made probably more mistakes than anybody successful in this industry to date.  With that being said... you have to ask why?  We started in 2011 distributing carbon and ceramic when nobody even knew what it was.  We had been involved with it several years prior to the beginning of Flexfilm.  When we decided to distribute it, we knew we had a challenge!  We also knew it was going to be the future but it was NOT ready for the USA market.  Hell, this technology was not even NATIVE to the USA market.  This film was superior in performance but sucked in user-friendliness.  It also had a thick, low density acrylic mounting adhesive that made the film rubbery and easy to crease.  The glue was not aggressive and would barely stick to glass.  On a good day it would only last about 5 years.  It was also sensitive to heat and would bubble on defrost lines in extreme climates.   Hell, I could go on...

We knew it was going to be a bumpy road trying to sell it but we also were trying to get professional tinters to tell us how it should be improved.  We kept going back to the Nano polymer experts and sharing this information.   Sometimes they would make improvements and sometimes the improvements would result in going backwards.  I can keep going on about all the failures and successes for many more paragraphs but I will make my point.  We have now been through 5 generations of this product and as of July 2019 we now have the best film in the world.  We have grown from a 3 million dollar a year company to a 1 million dollar a month company.  We were one of the first companies to introduce carbon and ceramic technologies in the USA market.  We took the hit from all the tinters when we were trying to perfect it and now that we have improved the industry and advanced the technology... look at all the big name brand companies who have jumped on the band wagon and started selling it now that it is more acceptable in the industry.  I make no apologies for accepting this challenge.  I would go back and do it all over again to get to where we are as an industry.  Thomas Edison actually failed over 1000 times before he invented the light bulb but that didn't stop him from giving up.  I probably failed more than that but look where we are today!  If anybody here wants to listen to old installers trying to tell you to look backwards to make a decision on trying the best film in the world maybe you should look at the iPhone when it was first launched as an iPOD that could not even make a phone call with no camera to decide if you want to buy an apple phone today.  Also... one of our most popular films that we sell everyday is a private labeled product that has the best reputation in this forum.  I read everyday where the most influential people in this forum speak badly of it and will turn around and praise it in another box.  I would suggest you try it yourself instead of taking advice from people who do not and have not tried our generation 5 products.  Also I just went back and read this post and want to make something clear... We knew this product was not user friendly but did not know how long it would last 10 years ago.  We believed it would last 10 years back then.  We now know it lasted on average 5 years. What I am referring to is our Generation , 1,2,3,and 4.    Some of it has lasted 10 years and some did not. 

We also sold reboxed domestic dyed film prior to 2014 that would fail in less than two years.  After 2014, we completely removed these products from our business but we still have people mention them as if we still sell them.  I will say this... there are some popular brands on tint dude that sold the same film and had the same bad luck as we did but they changed their name and reboxed different/better film and have no scars.  We NEVER changed our name.  We still have the scars and never ran from the problems.  We have paid tons of warranty claims.   Any warranty claims that exist are from products that were prior to our current product and have been removed from our business forever. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, DynamicATL said:

The fact he started selling the same film under a different name and tried to keep it a secret tells you everything you need to know.  Then offer it with a no warranty option since you're not really going to get one any way.  At least you can get Flexfilm cheaper from the TintClub website...that is a win I guess.  I mean, can you imagine a large film manufacturer during that?

I think people like you are the reason rumors get started.   I sell some films that are the same but some are different.   I do not try to keep it a secret because if I did you would not know about it.  I do not have any damn film on that site without a warranty.  All of it is a lifetime warranty film with warranty cards.  We never have had any warranty claims in almost 5 years of this company.  Ever!  All our prices are the SAME as Flexfilm if it is the SAME film.   Last but not least,  we have several companies to sell film just like Eastman has several companies to sell film like Llumar and Formulaone.  They also have Suntek and others.  It is ok for them to sell films under different names to penetrate the market on different levels but not us??? Not sure why you always seem to think you know it all?  And why you are such a negative Nancy?  I know you bought some bad film from Flexfilm when we first opened our doors back in 2011 when you were tinting cars on Craigslist for 79 dollars a car and we sold you ASWF and nexfil for about 100 dollars a roll but you have got to let it go man.  You have been our number one hater.  We both have moved on and we both are successful and learned from our mistakes.  The only difference between me and you is I moved on and I do not try to destroy your business every chance I get.  If I had time, I could go back on all your posts and make corrections like this but I really just do not have the energy or the time.   So anyway... I will just let you come back with a witty comeback since you are half way intelligent and have a very tactful ability to articulate in a believable manner.  I just decided to finally respond to you after all these years.  Not sure why.  I am just going to go back to my world now.  Good luck with yours. 

Edited by rvpjr
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:18 AM, rvpjr said:

I think people like you are the reason rumors get started.   I sell some films that are the same but some are different.   I do not try to keep it a secret because if I did you would not know about it.  I do not have any damn film on that site without a warranty.  All of it is a lifetime warranty film with warranty cards.  We never have had any warranty claims in almost 5 years of this company.  Ever!  All our prices are the SAME as Flexfilm if it is the SAME film.   Last but not least,  we have several companies to sell film just like Eastman has several companies to sell film like Llumar and Formulaone.  They also have Suntek and others.  It is ok for them to sell films under different names to penetrate the market on different levels but not us??? Not sure why you always seem to think you know it all?  And why you are such a negative Nancy?  I know you bought some bad film from Flexfilm when we first opened our doors back in 2011 when you were tinting cars on Craigslist for 79 dollars a car and we sold you ASWF and nexfil for about 100 dollars a roll but you have got to let it go man.  You have been our number one hater.  We both have moved on and we both are successful and learned from our mistakes.  The only difference between me and you is I moved on and I do not try to destroy your business every chance I get.  If I had time, I could go back on all your posts and make corrections like this but I really just do not have the energy or the time.   So anyway... I will just let you come back with a witty comeback since you are half way intelligent and have a very tactful ability to articulate in a believable manner.  I just decided to finally respond to you after all these years.  Not sure why.  I am just going to go back to my world now.  Good luck with yours. 

Besides selling something, I haven't been active for the past year, so I guess you felt it was time to sneak this response in, hoping for no response from me. Well, thanks to someone reaching out to me, ding ding ding, I'm back! I could respond in multiple ways, but I will keep to the simple facts since I don't want a back and forth about it. In fact, any further responses about the topic will be ignored by me. I'd rather keep living my best life. So without further ado...

I think people like you are the reason rumors get started.

Nope, selling window film that fails and then refusing to warranty the bad film is how rumors get started. I personally never contacted you to warranty out window film; I decided to take the hit. It was other dealers that came here stating you refused to warranty failed film. I wasn't the first one to post about the failures, nor was I the last.

I sell some films that are the same but some are different.   I do not try to keep it a secret because if I did you would not know about it.  I do not have any damn film on that site without a warranty.  All of it is a lifetime warranty film with warranty cards.  We never have had any warranty claims in almost 5 years of this company.  Ever!

You are correct; you can sell any film however you see fit without others knowing about it. However, you did start https://tintclub.com/ and were selling the film with an option to have no warranty for a lower price. You tried to hide the connection to you but made the mistake of listing your Flexfilm address on the website. As soon as people called you out, you removed the address from the website. As of right now, you still do not list an address on the website nor Facebook, Instagram, or Youtube. As far as saying you haven't had any warranty claims in the last 5 years, congrats!! Truly. However, you said the same thing years ago, back when you had warranty claims. Obviously, that is in the past, and hopefully, you've ironed out the previous issues. You could be delivering one of the best lines of the film right now; I have zero idea.

Not sure why you always seem to think you know it all?  And why you are such a negative Nancy?

Nope, I do not know it all about anything. I actually left the forum since I felt I couldn't contribute anything besides repetitive responses. Negative Nancy, really? I would have used pessimistic but to each their own. Also, nope.

I know you bought some bad film from Flexfilm when we first opened our doors back in 2011 when you were tinting cars on Craigslist for 79 dollars a car and we sold you ASWF and nexfil for about 100 dollars a roll but you have got to let it go man.

Luckily, I still have emails from back then to confirm we bought the film from 2012 to 2014. Before that, we contracted a window tinter to work at our shop, taking a percentage, but film selection (Suntek) was 100% up to them. The absolute lowest we ever charged for tinting a vehicle was $129, and that was with your film, EconoFlex, which came with a 5-year warranty from us. We did advertise on Craigslist though, back when it was free...they charge $3-5 a post now, isn't that crazy?! Now, the interesting thing is you stated you sold us ASWF and Nexfil. The only film we ever purchased from you in Lilburn was Flexfilm, back when it came in plain white boxes with a label on the end stating which Flexfilm. So did you admit you were doing a bait and switch? I know memory is the first thing to go, but I would leave out details like that. The memory joke is my response to your "half way intelligent" remark. Nothing personal.

You have been our number one hater.  We both have moved on and we both are successful and learned from our mistakes.  The only difference between me and you is I moved on and I do not try to destroy your business every chance I get.  If I had time, I could go back on all your posts and make corrections like this but I really just do not have the energy or the time. 

The saying goes, "If you've got haters, that means you're doing something right"...you can use that in future marketing. I am glad you've made it past those dark days and have found success in the window film industry. With the videos, you did great marketing, but you also approached the window film manufacturing business from a different angle that helped some window tinters grow. I, too, have moved on, quite literally, from the window tint forum. Your response brought me back, a response that came almost 16 months after the last post on this thread. So you made it a relevant topic again, one that new members might read. I thought the topic was dead.

So anyway... I will just let you come back with a witty comeback since you are half way intelligent and have a very tactful ability to articulate in a believable manner.  I just decided to finally respond to you after all these years.  Not sure why.  I am just going to go back to my world now.  Good luck with yours. 

BIG FACTS! I did work on toning down the wit as my response is meant to respond to some specifics and officially kill the subject from my POV. As stated before, I will not respond to any future responses. Leaving it be will be the only way to bury the subject truly. Good luck to you too. I hope you and your family are safe and healthy during this time as well.

Edited by DynamicATL
  • 1 month later...

FlexFilm has been very good to us. We’ve had some adhesive failures, but nothing more than any other film manufacturer, and in the beginning we had a little tough time getting used to it. But the Gen 5 stuff is rock solid. We offer all 4 film types FlexFilm sells and it has been a game changer. Ralph has always been available to me when I needed him and he has always stepped up to help me. Before FlexFilm I was struggling to distance my shop from every other shop in town. Now thanks to FlexFilm, we have e established ourselves as a premium shop with premium films, at premium prices. Thanks Ralph, you rock!

Edited by Carmeltint.com
20 hours ago, Carmeltint.com said:

FlexFilm has been very good to us. We’ve had some adhesive failures, but nothing more than any other film manufacturer, and in the beginning we had a little tough time getting used to it. But the Gen 5 stuff is rock solid. We offer all 4 film types FlexFilm sells and it has been a game changer. Ralph has always been available to me when I needed him and he has always stepped up to help me. Before FlexFilm I was struggling to distance my shop from every other shop in town. Now thanks to FlexFilm, we have e established ourselves as a premium shop with premium films, at premium prices. Thanks Ralph, you rock!

Show me adhesive failure on Global HP, QDP or QFPC!

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:26 PM, TomTint said:

Very well said ^^^^, There are some old timers on this page from time to time...like myself... 

If I can give and newbie some advice that I would hope they take, it would be to look at the long term view of your business. If you are actplanning on making this trade your career, look to one of the main suppliers for your film source. They are the ones who will have all the resources you will need as you grow and develop your business. Material cost is always something you need to keep in mind, but more important than saving 10.00 on a roll of film, is building your companies reputation. All it takes is 1 unhappy customer, and that customer will tell 25 people of their bad experience.. And dealing with 2nd or 3rd rate material will produce plenty of these customers. 

That's not to say the big guys don't have their share of problems, they all do. But, they also have the resources to fix those problems... the Flex film types.. maybe not so much. Again...think long term. I started in 1985, I know just a little about what I speak. 

Okay but these big companies also won’t sell to us new window tinters so what do you recommend big guy tinter from 1985?

1 hour ago, CleanTint said:

Okay but these big companies also won’t sell to us new window tinters so what do you recommend big guy tinter from 1985?

I've had great luck with Express Classic black and Classic Charcoal over the years.  I'm pretty sure they will sell to anyone.  I might be wrong on that but their ordering website seems pretty open to the public.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.