Best advertise for business

I am curious as to what others have tried for advertising that has been effective for their shops? I plan on using banners, feather flags and good ol grassroots with going around and handing out business cards, along with Facebook adds too. Has anyone done any scavenger type hunts on Facebook or social media? Looking for some ideas that have worked for your guys shops.

I don't have a shop, so take this for whats it worth.

In another life I worked at a local mom & pop ski shop on a fairly busy road. The best thing that worked for them was using a banner and, I assume this is what they are called - feather flags to get business. They put them out by the road... got a lot of attention. :thumb

It depends on what customer you are looking for. IMO FB is the flea market of advertising,....lots of people..lots of crap... And the people have no money. .. Banners can be effective If you have a high traffic flow I front of. Your shop..and better if its a high flow with regular passerbys so they see your flag several times, then pull in on they way home some night. A flag flapping in the breeze at a highway on ramp for window tinting... Not worth the material it's made from. If I were to open a auto tint shop.. ( and I never would ) ...I would get a really nice vehicle, all pimped out and lettered...and frequent car shows as well as cars and coffee type gatherings. These are places where you can expect to get higher quality customers and likely many of them have several cars. 

It depends on what customer you are looking for. IMO FB is the flea market of advertising,....lots of people..lots of crap... And the people have no money. .. Banners can be effective If you have a high traffic flow I front of. Your shop..and better if its a high flow with regular passerbys so they see your flag several times, then pull in on they way home some night. A flag flapping in the breeze at a highway on ramp for window tinting... Not worth the material it's made from. If I were to open a auto tint shop.. ( and I never would ) ...I would get a really nice vehicle, all pimped out and lettered...and frequent car shows as well as cars and coffee type gatherings. These are places where you can expect to get higher quality customers and likely many of them have several cars. 

I would really like to do just flat glass work but there just isn’t enough consistent work where I’m located at. I did travel doing flat glass for a bit for some large projects but not too family friendly living out of a hotel room.

Some may disagree or hate Yelp but Yelp brings in most of our new customers. We used to not pay for advertising on yelp but when we started paying for ads our phone would ring off the hook and our inboxes full.

Google is a great source as well.  

Edited by CaliTINT

We advertise (paid) on Google and Yelp mostly with some FB/IG sprinkled in the middle.  Like @CaliTINT said, Yelp seems to work very well for us...we probably respond to 20 emails a day on Yelp alone.  We tried Yelp in the past and it was horrible.  No results, expensive, and everything had to be done through talking to someone at Yelp.  Since then, they changed how advertising works there and is much simpler and IMO cheaper.  They seem to be much easier to work with now too plus you have greater control at the touch of your tips than before.  Craigslist used to be great, but now they charge $3-$5 per ad and only run it for 30 days when it was 45 days when free.  We get a lot of interaction when running ads on FB/IG, but I don't see tons of that resulting in a transaction.  Now Marketplace on FB has been great for Window Tint.  It is completely free and gets you in front of a lot of people.

For me it was word of mouth, I’ve never advertised a day on any kind of platform. Word of mouth goes a long ways! 
An I also want to add my buddy that showed me the ropes years ago had been tinting for 30 plus an every call he got he forwarded to me, so I pretty much got blessed an off on a great foot to even begin with, so I probably don’t even count? Lol