Is there anyone who knows about window film installation process ?

Hi,

I plan to renovate my house. Floor to ceiling windows is increasingly used in modern houses. So we decided to blend it into our renovation work. As security is of more important than beauty, at the beginning I disagreed with this plan. Later we decided to use security window films.

My cousin suggested a security window film installation service provider whom he had consulted before. We plan to have a meeting by the end of next week. Is there anyone who knows about the installation process ? How much does it cost for security window film installation? Please share your knowledge.

Thank You!

Security film is a little different than normal neutral or DR flat glass as far as installation goes. But the process is essentially the same... cut, peel, lick it and stick it.  As far as pricing goes that’s an entirely different animal. That depends on what film they’re using? Are you getting attachment?  How high the windows are? And how many square ft is the job. I give my customers a break the higher the sq footage. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:39 PM, James F said:

Hi,

I plan to renovate my house. Floor to ceiling windows is increasingly used in modern houses. So we decided to blend it into our renovation work. As security is of more important than beauty, at the beginning I disagreed with this plan. Later we decided to use security window films.

My cousin suggested a security window film installation service provider whom he had consulted before. We plan to have a meeting by the end of next week. Is there anyone who knows about the installation process ? How much does it cost for security window film installation? Please share your knowledge.

Thank You!

Security film on residential is always speculative. If you do not have frames that will accept some sort of attachment system..it's a waste of time and money. Think of it this way.. Applying safety film to your glass is essentially turning it into a makeshift piece of laminated glass..just not as good. The windshield on your car is laminated glass. The membrane is sandwiched between the glass itself.. And has urethane around it holding it to the cars structure. ...without that attachment.. The windshield is basically useless...same with not having a proper attachment with film on a home. And many residential frames simply do not have adequate provisions to do so. 

Safety and security films perform better on annealed glass. You can always go to Youtube and look up blast mitigation videos of safety and security films on both annealed and tempered glass. They show performance or the lack thereof with an attachment and without. These viewings will give insight into the force needed to get through. HOWEVER, these viewings do not necessarily apply to home invasion use of this film product.

The bare minimum for home invasion is and 8 mil product. Attachment is most necessary on tempered glass since it breaks into small beads when impacted and can then be worked at its edge to the point of penetration and access. Annealed glass, however, breaks into large shards that will retain a greater edge-bite strength than tempered panes well into the frame (dependent upon edge-bite or how deep into the frame the glass seats). Annealed glass breaking in large shards allows the film's adhesive to have larger surface areas to maintain bond integrity. Annealed glass is also more likely to cut the perpetrator attempting to penetrate the film/glass, leaving DNA samples for forensic use.

It is a statistical fact that thieves need penetrate a barrier in less than 10 seconds or they will give up and move onto a softer target. No installation firm would guarantee theft-free scenario due to variables beyond their control (e.g. backing their truck through the sliding doors or being equipped with a slug hammer (that didn't bounce back and knock the idiot out on the first blow ... two extremes here).

Building a new home? Have the windows placed higher, requiring ladder or step stools to access them and have SS film applied. This makes it even more difficult to get through. Also, keep in mind that the film will create a similar, but weaker, barrier in terms of needing to get out of the dwelling when there's a fire inside.

Good luck.

I have consulted a security window film provider named Protection Plus in Toronto. I'm looking for an 80 feet long film. They have years of experience in this field. They explained that the installation is done at the job site and involves the cutting and applying of the film to the surface of the glass of each window. Is this the normal process? Does anyone know any other similar services?

On 9/18/2019 at 2:18 AM, James F said:

I have consulted a security window film provider named Protection Plus in Toronto. I'm looking for an 80 feet long film. They have years of experience in this field. They explained that the installation is done at the job site and involves the cutting and applying of the film to the surface of the glass of each window. Is this the normal process? Does anyone know any other similar services?

Google window tinting near me......I would imagine there are numerous shops