GMC & Chevy defective door panels 2014-16

Alert!! Warning!!! Hey, Look out!!  :stop   

The 2014-16 GMC Sierra door panels have defective vinyl dye.  It seems to be the brown panels so far.

If ANY chemicals (soap and water) ((TintSlime))  hits these door panels they are ruined.  The more you try to clean it the worse it gets.  Even covering the panels won't work.  If ANY solution gets on them they stain and as you wipe them they start flaking like they have a wax on them or something, except the color comes with it.  

Needless to say, I won't be touching these anymore.  :nono    

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

Edited by Bham

Let’s just go ahead with the rest of this.... I guess :sigh  

Cause I get it :trustme  But let’s be real. 

We all do, have done, and will do hundreds of windows with door panels uncovered with no issues to the door panels.  Even on the higher end stuff, you can still get away with not covering a door panel, dry it off after install, and there are zero issues.  Been that way and will be that way for a long time.  

I still cover over certain panels, but not all the time.  I’ll skip the price increase convo due to expenses on extras that are basically waste or a loss (disposable door panel covers).....,, anyway.  

This is about an obvious defect that can be a HUGE issue, even if you do cover every single door panel you touch (which I doubt).  It only takes half a second with anything but water alone.  Try to dry it off immediately and it doesn’t help.  This is a big issue and should be a recall or at least a TSB so that it’s not unknown.  

Edited by Bham

Truck wrecked or modified previously? Somebody trying to match a weird color pulled it off with some dye or something? If you're about to own them I'd start experimenting with cleaners and detail stuff and then try my hand at dye/paint. @Bham first windshield I buy or laminated window is getting torched from the outside before it gets replaced, :lolI will learn.... or take out my frustrations :rollin  :flamer 

Edited by no ma'am

I've done well in excess of a thousand of these trucks and the only time I've had an issue is if the panel had some type of detailing dressing on it that the application solution stripped off in which case I keep some Maguire's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner on hand, a little of that on a microfiber will even things out and take care of it. The other thing I've seen is on used vehicles that have been "reconditioned" and been retouched with a cheap spray on vinyl dye, that shit comes off exactly like you described. 

As far as covering the panels goes I didn't for the first couple years I tinted and it wasn't an issue except in the cases previously mentioned. Now days I cover them 95-98% of the time and I use bath towels, they're cheap and reusable and cover the entire panel.

My two pennies 

I agree with high plains. I almost always get marks on these even though I wipe off any solution as soon as possible. I always use some dilutes dressing and they look good as new. I also think it’s some sort of dressing that gets removed from solution.

I would agree with dressing part, because I mentioned the way it flakes off like a wax.  But it is way more common than I like.  It might even be the local dealerships detail shop causing it around here :dunno    Gonna have to try the dressing or detailer stuff.  

Edited by Bham

22 hours ago, highplains said:

I've done well in excess of a thousand of these trucks and the only time I've had an issue is if the panel had some type of detailing dressing on it that the application solution stripped off in which case I keep some Maguire's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner on hand, a little of that on a microfiber will even things out and take care of it. The other thing I've seen is on used vehicles that have been "reconditioned" and been retouched with a cheap spray on vinyl dye, that shit comes off exactly like you described. 

As far as covering the panels goes I didn't for the first couple years I tinted and it wasn't an issue except in the cases previously mentioned. Now days I cover them 95-98% of the time and I use bath towels, they're cheap and reusable and cover the entire panel.

My two pennies 

Bro I’m not sure how to search it but I did do a post about some diy door covers a few years back. Cost is a few bucks. Had links of where to buy the carpet shields on amazon.