Tint school?

@flat rock stan in Saint Louis or Portland and you'll "learn to fly the plane". 

He will cover flat glass but not real deep on that.

I wouldn't imagine going to anyone else for training or anyone with more experience training than Stan.

Edited by Ryker

I would say, depending on how deep he wants to get into it, to look toward the brand he is choosing and how they recommend handling training a newbie.

I'm a LLumar guy and went through their training program at their facility in Virginia. Automotive was a four day course. Went back a year later and took Architectural which was only a two day course. The thing I liked most was that you receive a certificate for completion of each course. Not that it necessarily means anything but to some customers it is comforting. Its kind of like walking into the car audio shop back in the day and the guys had Rockford Fosgate or Pioneer or Alpine certificates all over the walls. (My local shop did at least.)

Big down side to it, with LLumar at least, was the initial buy in. You have to be pretty committed to sticking with tinting. I had to order a good amount of film and become listed as a dealer to even be eligible to take the course, which also cost money. It is good and bad because it weeds out the fly by night guys that aren't serious about doing it and sticking with it to make some real money.

Does he live near you? When I was shopping around, before I had picked a brand, I was leaning toward SunTek purchased through a distributor in PA. They offered up a one-on-one training program that I believe was at their facility. I can see if I still have that info if you would like to pass it along. Although, I think it would be tough to pass up training with @flat rock stan from everything I have read. I don't think training with @Midtown Houston would be bad either from what I have seen from him. Price is a little steep but I'm sure you go very thoroughly over a wide range of things.

:twocents

On 9/27/2019 at 8:58 PM, Tint Eastwood said:

Maybe I’m out on a limb here but......20k? C’mon man, that’s some BS and you know it. :twocents 

It is BS if you already know how to tint and went thru the expensive mistakes of doing so......I totally understand the 20k is a sticker shocker but I can make any shop very efficient and productive. I have visit many shop and seen hundreds of film installer....trust me less than 10% of shop/installer are doing it right. If you visit our facility and see my team work...you might say...I been doing it all wrong all these dam years!!!!

Tint school.....where to begin.. . . I would start by looking for more than some guy who is going to teach you which side of the film is sticky and then give you the number to the customer service desk so you can order film at retail plus 30% prices.. 

A good "tint school" should involve several days of marketing and sales traning. Also your chosen school should invest time in you and  do some research into your area and demographic ..and offer a tailored plan of action for you. ..No need to try and open a auto tint shack if there are already 40 of them in a 5 mile radius. .. A good school should also inform you of ALL the brands available on the market and supply  you with the reps names and numbers for your area. A good school will help you formulate a sales strategy for gaining business ....and keeping it. They should help inform you what it takes to keep the business successful and how to scale for growth.. I could go on and on... But there are thousands of guys who can show you how to stick plastic on glass... That's the easy part. 

Edited by TomTint

On 9/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, Tint Slayer said:

Kid was asking me if i can recommend a good tint school he can go to, i came up blank. He seems pretty smart, he doesn't want to learn online or with videos or in someones shop (like everyone suggests to him), he wants a hands on classroom instruction that covers auto/residential/commercial and gives him proof that he was trained. He seems to be really serious about doing it right.  

Any good school or training like that anyone can recommend that teaches it all?

You teach him? That's really what I think he was asking. 

19 hours ago, Midtown Houston said:

It is BS if you already know how to tint and went thru the expensive mistakes of doing so......I totally understand the 20k is a sticker shocker but I can make any shop very efficient and productive. I have visit many shop and seen hundreds of film installer....trust me less than 10% of shop/installer are doing it right. If you visit our facility and see my team work...you might say...I been doing it all wrong all these dam years!!!!

He is looking for a school, not some guy who thinks he's super special and wants everyone to know. 

14 hours ago, no ma'am said:

You teach him? That's really what I think he was asking. 

I kinda got that feeling too, maybe i should ask for $20k lol 

He seems to want a classroom environment, wants to do it how he thinks is the right way, which i appreciate, just surprised there aren't more qualified teaching facilities available. Doesn't seem to be any here in the Northeast. He may have to settle for being a trainee somewhere.  

On 9/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, Ryker said:

@flat rock stan in Saint Louis or Portland and you'll "learn to fly the plane". 

He will cover flat glass but not real deep on that.

I wouldn't imagine going to anyone else for training or anyone with more experience training than Stan.

Gonna give him Stans info.