Ppf maintenance?

Guest Ben

So I have done maybe 7-8 ppf jobs... bumper, fender, hood, etc... I did my own hood aswell.  I noticed a spot today where I'm assuming a large sized rock hit the ppf and ripped/tore it.... not fixable through self healing.  I used llumar platinum.  I'm not so much worried about mine, but what do I do if a customer brings a car back with a similar issue?  That not a warranty r&r is it?

No matter what business you’re in, managing expectations is key.   You’ll want to explain to customers that ppf is a sacrificial layer.   It’s more susceptible during the first few weeks it’s installed before it fully cures/cross links.  

Show your car as an example when talking with potential customers about what to expect. 

Guest Lost still

It seemed to be a pretty large rock that hit it... you can see a dent... no paint damage though, so I guess it did its job... just not sure what I would tell a customer that just spent $800 to get clear bra installed 7 months ago (roughly the time line of my install) and they came back with this... obviously nothing wrong with the install, just from the chunk of what ever hit it.   What if it had been on a front bumper?  What's the explanation to that??? I can trim off the damaged "ripped" part of your ppf.... do I re do it... or do I file a warranty claim?.... this is all "what if"?  But I'm sure it will  come up eventually with a paying customer.  

Film damage due to impacts from rocks, tire treads, whatever, is considered normal wear and tear and not covered by any manufacturer warranty.  When customers come to me with these issues I tell them its a good thing they had film, just think what that impact would have done to unprotected paint.   This customer hit a concrete wall in a parking deck.  Without the film, that could have been a $3000 hit.  Sometimes I will offer to  "pro-rate" at a reduced cost the replacement depending on how old the install is, but all films will become damaged and/or aged to the point it needs replaced about every five years.

Resized_20190723_141006.jpg

Resized_20190723_141450.jpg

So I have done maybe 7-8 ppf jobs... bumper, fender, hood, etc... I did my own hood aswell.  I noticed a spot today where I'm assuming a large sized rock hit the ppf and ripped/tore it.... not fixable through self healing.  I used llumar platinum.  I'm not so much worried about mine, but what do I do if a customer brings a car back with a similar issue?  That not a warranty r&r is it?

Wer it is cut u just heat tht place with heat gun