Vista V51 - curling issues.....

Did a job for another tint shop the other day.. using v51 on a 'sunroom'... skylights and side windows. Sun wasn't hitting the room until later in the afternoon... got there around 9am.. completed by 2pm. The skylights seemed to be ok.. the side windows tons of curling issues. 

I'm not a vista dealer.. I worked for a vista dealer years ago, but we used v28, 38, 48, 58... never had any issues with those. v51 - I don't even know what that is :lol  But I put it up. 

Is this film prone to curl?? 

Was super pissed seeing window after window curling. Waiting around like 90 min and did what we could... hopefully it didn't all curl off the windows after we left. :dunno

Just curious if it's just one of those films that has this issue. Which pisses me off - like... dude.. get your crap straight. Window film isn't new. There are reasons films curl.... and while I will agree, for residential, it's still kindof niche... like... it just pissed me off when this crap happens, in 2019. Like really???? 

/rant

4 hours ago, Roach said:

Did a job for another tint shop the other day.. using v51 on a 'sunroom'... skylights and side windows. Sun wasn't hitting the room until later in the afternoon... got there around 9am.. completed by 2pm. The skylights seemed to be ok.. the side windows tons of curling issues. 

I'm not a vista dealer.. I worked for a vista dealer years ago, but we used v28, 38, 48, 58... never had any issues with those. v51 - I don't even know what that is :lol  But I put it up. 

Was super pissed seeing window after window curling. Waiting around like 90 min and did what we could... hopefully it didn't all curl off the windows after we left. :dunno

Just curious if it's just one of those films that has this issue. Which pisses me off - like... dude.. get your crap straight. Window film isn't new. There are reasons films curl.... and while I will agree, for residential, it's still kindof niche... like... it just pissed me off when this crap happens, in 2019. Like really???? 

/rant

Did you use X100 ?

No one said we should use it... and like I said, I'm not familiar with that film..  of course after the fact I thought we should have - wouldn't have hurt anything... and might have helped. 

Haven't gotten any calls yet. Hopefully everything stayed down. Scaffolding needed to be set up for it.. gonna be a pain in the butt if it doesn't set properly and we need to go back. 

Not sure if I'll do work for this guy again, but in the event I do - I'll have to remember that... use x100. :thumb

1 minute ago, Roach said:

No one said we should use it... and like I said, I'm not familiar with that film..  of course after the fact I thought we should have - wouldn't have hurt anything... and might have helped. 

Haven't gotten any calls yet. Hopefully everything stayed down. Scaffolding needed to be set up for it.. gonna be a pain in the butt if it doesn't set properly and we need to go back. 

Not sure if I'll do work for this guy again, but in the event I do - I'll have to remember that... use x100. :thumb

I will have to check and see but I think that film needs to be edge sealed if less than 5 miles from the coast.

V51 is part of the Vista Harmony series, a sort of hybrid ceramic/metalaized product. I'm not sure I've ever installed it personally.

Tom is correct about the edge seal requirement for corrosion reasons. Unfortunately, any film that this is recommended for, X-100 is prohibited for use for the exact same reason (corrosion). 

On 10/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, Roach said:

What tends to piss me off is that the films that curl once the sun swings around tend to be the ones where X-100 isn't approved, so the next official recommendation is "use less slip". Durrr.. What might work better is if the manufacturer would more adequately address what is undoubtedly a known issue so companies that install their products don't end up looking like idiots on the job. 

I'm curious though: you say there are reasons films curl. What are they?