How Has 2019 Been For Your Tinting

How is everyone's business going as we get closer to the end of 2019?  We have been super slammed this year thanks to the long and hot summer here in Georgia.  This week and last week are the first ones we haven't been booked out, so I guess it is time to slow down some and relax.  Our Llumar numbers are through the roof but our Crystalline jobs this year have severely declined.  I think this is mainly due to the Tesla Model 3 launching and us not tinting it.  Last year we were slinging Crystalline like crazy on the Telsa Model S, but seems to be more 3's selling this year than S's.  3M Ceramic-IR should be launching dealer-wide right before SEMA, so hopefully, that will bring our 3M numbers back up by having a Ceramic option.  Hopefully it has a normal appearance cause I wasn't feeling Obsidian.

Plus loving the new front-end on the Silverado Z71!

IMG_20191005_122702.jpg

Edited by DynamicATL

That sucks, hopefully you work through it.  I've definently had my moments like that.  My year could be a million times better but I'm always scared to try new stuff or add new services.  I always feel it is not the right time or we not staffed right, etc.

We tried PDR and went to Ding King training for it last year,  around this time. We were able to practice a lot from November to January. Unfortunately and fortunately it got so busy at the shop that we didnt have time to do any PDR,  afterwards. We have to go back to training for it. This year has been crazy for us. Just like you, it is now slowing down a bit. I am now training 3 interns for next year. We turned down so many customers. Our PPF and Vinyl are now getting very busy as well. I turned down every single Vinyl Wrap with a full color change because we were understaffed. Its about 2 cars per week for 6 months. We also just landed a gigantic job with our electronics department that will require 2 personnel 24/7/365. Basically its our 3rd year in business and It has been nuts compared to last year. 

The Tesla giga factory is bringing in many people who are from out of town and people are now making more money per hour because of Tesla. It's hard to find a job that pays less than $14/hr. Even McDonalds pays $12 now.

This year has been pretty good here as well, gross sales are up right about 10% year to date which I can't complain about. In the midst of making some changes that I'm really excited for going forward through the rest of the year and into 2020.

I've gotta disagree with you on the new Silverados, the 1500's have grown on me a bit but the HD's are butt ugly. The Sierra is much better, but still not my cup of tea. 

9 minutes ago, highplains said:

This year has been pretty good here as well, gross sales are up right about 10% year to date which I can't complain about. In the midst of making some changes that I'm really excited for going forward through the rest of the year and into 2020.

I've gotta disagree with you on the new Silverados, the 1500's have grown on me a bit but the HD's are butt ugly. The Sierra is much better, but still not my cup of tea. 

Haven't seen the HD's, that is a 1500 above...I am not a truck guy but always been on the Ford side of things.  I think the Raptor is the only truck I could actually see owning.

26 minutes ago, Stewy said:

We tried PDR and went to Ding King training for it last year,  around this time. We were able to practice a lot from November to January. Unfortunately and fortunately it got so busy at the shop that we didnt have time to do any PDR,  afterwards. We have to go back to training for it. This year has been crazy for us. Just like you, it is now slowing down a bit. I am now training 3 interns for next year. We turned down so many customers. Our PPF and Vinyl are now getting very busy as well. I turned down every single Vinyl Wrap with a full color change because we were understaffed. Its about 2 cars per week for 6 months. We also just landed a gigantic job with our electronics department that will require 2 personnel 24/7/365. Basically its our 3rd year in business and It has been nuts compared to last year. 

The Tesla giga factory is bringing in many people who are from out of town and people are now making more money per hour because of Tesla. It's hard to find a job that pays less than $14/hr. Even McDonalds pays $12 now.

That is how our PPF/Vinyl is going, no time for it.  We've been turning away an average of 20 people a week on window tint.  I've been looking to add additional tinters or ppf/vinyl installers but everyone we test can't meet our quality requirements.