Jump to content

Heat lamp versus the sun - Same IR?


Recommended Posts

Infrared bulbs emit 95% infrared energy whereby the sun only emits 48.xx %.

 

Same bulb, visible light 5% and the sun 48.xx%

 

Both visible and infrared energy will convert to heat once absorbed by any surface, infrared is simply 'felt' sooner because it penetrates deeper into the skin causing tissue moisture near nerve receptors to heat up. Water is the best absorber of infrared.

 

The display you speak of is not misleading since both films mentioned work best in the infrared.

 

Misleading would be to compare one of the two films mentioned to a dye-metal or straight dyed film.

 

Edit: If you want to compare differing film structure performance, a Halogen bulb is the closest to resembling the sun's energy; publicly available.

Edited by Tintguy1980
bulb suggestion
Link to comment

When it comes to HP films with dye + Metal construction the TSER (total Solar Energy Rejection) spec for most 5% films is 61%.

Ceramic films, not all of which are truly Ceramic but rather merely IR absorbing, reject 66% at the 5% shade. 

This is viewed as a shout it from the rooftops advancement of monumental significance and "new" although South Wall's V-Kool films were specially selective way back in the 1990s.

 

Edited by Sisqouc
left out %
Link to comment
9 hours ago, dman777 said:

I was in the tint shop comparing the Strato versus Pinnacle under the heat lamp and noticed quite a difference. But how does a heat lamp compare to the sun? Does  the heat lamp have more IR than the sun? If so, about how much more? 

  

 

As they said, the heat lamp with an IR bulb will show what the films can do with blocking Infrared but the real world will be different.  Stratos will still be a huge step up since it is a double-layered Ceramic film...Pinnacle plus a layer of AIR.  The downside is both Pinnacle and AIR are high heat absorbing films, especially if combined.  So when parked or sitting at a light, you will feel more radiating heat than films like Crystalline that redirect the heat.

Link to comment

BTW I think the Stratos is a damn fine film as are all Llumar products.

I've never seen a consumer complain about a purchase of a fairly priced standard film's performance but we often see consumer complaints about whether they really got at Top Of The Line ceramic film by various manufactures. This leaves me to believe that either some shops substitute cheaper films after the Heat Lamp sales pitch, or the performance just isn't that much  better than what the consumer has experienced with other products.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, DynamicATL said:

 

As they said, the heat lamp with an IR bulb will show what the films can do with blocking Infrared but the real world will be different.  Stratos will still be a huge step up since it is a double-layered Ceramic film...Pinnacle plus a layer of AIR.  The downside is both Pinnacle and AIR are high heat absorbing films, especially if combined.  So when parked or sitting at a light, you will feel more radiating heat than films like Crystalline that redirect the heat.



Oh wow, would the Johnsons InsulatIR and LLumar CTX also be heat absorbing films? 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, dman777 said:



Oh wow, would the Johnsons InsulatIR and LLumar CTX also be heat absorbing films? 

 

Honestly, I don't know much about Johnson films.  CTX like most dyed ceramic films will absorb the heat, this is 99% of the market.  The reason I bring it up is Stratos has a higher absorption rate since it has 2 layers of ceramic.  So it depends on the vehicle being in motion for the air to push the heat away.  In reality that is not a big deal unless you are sitting in stop-and-go traffic over an extended period of time.

Link to comment

Every manufacuter should be putting disclaimer stickers on every box they sell. Saying"THIS IS JUST A ROUGH APPROXIMATION OF THE SUNS IR HEAT SPECTRUM."

BUT THEY DONT" in order to trick the customer into buying a more expensive film that in the long run will only keep out maybe 2-3% more heat. Look at pinnacle and stratos.

So Close on specs and "TSER" JUST A MAGIC SHOW IF PRESENTED WITH NO DISCLAIMER. Its sad that people use these with no disclaimer.. Or should we all be honest and just say "Wrong". I guess every man has his fudge limit.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

 

Honestly, I don't know much about Johnson films.  CTX like most dyed ceramic films will absorb the heat, this is 99% of the market.  The reason I bring it up is Stratos has a higher absorption rate since it has 2 layers of ceramic.  So it depends on the vehicle being in motion for the air to push the heat away.  In reality that is not a big deal unless you are sitting in stop-and-go traffic over an extended period of time.



I live in Austin, TX where traffic is real bad. I would say I am in stop and go traffic 70% of the time I drive. Would the Pineccale be cooler than the Stratos for my situation since it is not double layered and will not absorb as much heat in stopped traffic? 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  •   Sponsored by
    STEKAutomotive



    premiumgard



    Advertise Here



  • Donate with PayPal
  • Activity Stream

    1. 8,644

      The Off Topic Thread

    2. 1

      Dissapointed customer

    3. 1

      Dissapointed customer

    4. 8,644

      The Off Topic Thread

×
×
  • Create New...