Heat lamp versus the sun - Same IR?

3 hours ago, dman777 said:

I live in Austin, TX where traffic is real bad. I would say I am in stop and go traffic 70% of the time I drive. Would the Pineccale be cooler than the Stratos for my situation since it is not double layered and will not absorb as much heat in stopped traffic? 

Stratos would still be the winner.

4 hours ago, Cooltimes said:

Every manufacuter should be putting disclaimer stickers on every box they sell. Saying"THIS IS JUST A ROUGH APPROXIMATION OF THE SUNS IR HEAT SPECTRUM."

BUT THEY DONT" in order to trick the customer into buying a more expensive film that in the long run will only keep out maybe 2-3% more heat. Look at pinnacle and stratos.

So Close on specs and "TSER" JUST A MAGIC SHOW IF PRESENTED WITH NO DISCLAIMER. Its sad that people use these with no disclaimer.. Or should we all be honest and just say "Wrong". I guess every man has his fudge limit.

Honestly, I think that none of the ratings perfectly tell the story of what a film does in the real world.  TSER is just the standard go-to rating and the IRR (SIRR) is just popular because you feel the Infrared more.  It doesn't count for variables like how the film blocks the heat and I'm sure plenty of others.  I leave that for the people that are smarter than me in the window film business.  I just know it is not the full story.  For example, one of my vehicles had Huper Ceramic 35 on the sides/rear/sunroof and 50 on the windshield.  When we switched films, I switched it to 3M Crystalline 40 on the sides/rear/sunroof and 50 on the windshield.  Huper Ceramic 35 has 65% TSER and 81% IRR...3M Crystalline 40 has 60% TSER and 97% IRR (full spectrum is somewhere in the mid-'80s).  However, I instantly noticed an improvement in performance even though Crystalline has a lower TSER and similar IRR.  Another one of our guys did the same change on his car and also felt a big improvement.  

20 hours ago, Cooltimes said:

Every manufacuter should be putting disclaimer stickers on every box they sell. Saying"THIS IS JUST A ROUGH APPROXIMATION OF THE SUNS IR HEAT SPECTRUM."

BUT THEY DONT" in order to trick the customer into buying a more expensive film that in the long run will only keep out maybe 2-3% more heat. Look at pinnacle and stratos.

So Close on specs and "TSER" JUST A MAGIC SHOW IF PRESENTED WITH NO DISCLAIMER. Its sad that people use these with no disclaimer.. Or should we all be honest and just say "Wrong". I guess every man has his fudge limit.

Window tint for dummies.

Being in the industry isn't all about how good one can install film; it's about installing. knowing the product(s) you sell and knowing how those products work.

Simple scenario would be to compare performance between clear film and a straight-dyed film with only VLT (visible light transmission, for the dummies) making a difference. Clear film has a TSER of 22% while the charcoal 15's TSER is 44%. How is that? There's no metal, no carbon, no ceramic, no other IR (near infrared, for the dummies); only absorption of visible light because of the dye(color). The reason the 15% has the greater TSER is because it absorbs more  visible light. Neither of these examples repel NIR in any way. Soooo, visible light is what converts to heat.

All the sun's energy will transform into heat after striking and being absorbed by a surface; visible light energy (VLT) turns into heat, near infrared energy (NIR or IR) turns into heat and ultraviolet (UV) turns into heat.

The best performing film must screen out maximum VLT, maximum NIR and maximum UV. Presently, you may find a reflective (or metalized) silver film with a VLT of 7-10% having the highest TSER. There may be a combination structure such as Huper Drei that can achieve this or be equal to. I believe gold and copper are the best or most efficient at filtering solar energy.

TSER is calculated (using sophisticated software developed by DOE and LBL) by knowing what is reflected, what is transmitted and what gets absorbed and how much of the absorbed energy radiates back out from the glass surface and how much radiates inward; whichever side of the glass is cooler or has the greater amount of air movement across its surface.

NIR IS NOT HEAT until it is absorbed and converts to radiant far infrared. The reason IR film seem to work well is because the human body feels far infrared radiating from the tissue moisture near nerve receptors. In other words, near infrared energy penetrates deeper under the skin and is absorbed into the tissue moisture, converts to far-infrared and is radiating from the tissue moisture to nerve receptors (sensing it).

Good luck. :hat

Edited by Tintguy1980
typo and grammar