New to me plotter

smac

Hey Guys & Gals just found this wonderful site in some things we are searching today and joined up to ask our first question after no luck in the search bar. I was about to pull the trigger on a FC8600-160 to cut 60 inch rolls. we currently hand cut / bulk everything. over the weekend I found a smokin deal on a FC8000-130 for 700.00. you did read that right. its in near mint condition, saw a test cut and brought it to the shop this AM. Guy owned a sign shop and went to a 72 and wanted it out. Anyway, we were wanting to go 60 to cut 60 inch rolls. at this price i just couldn't pass it up, as our first plotter. I assume we should continue to use the 40inch rolls we've been using for tint vs going to 60 and losing 6 inches or would there be a benefit to cutting 54" on tint? Also, would the same apply for PPF for you guys using plotters this thing will take a 60 roll but only cuts 54inch. should we ppf 60 inch rolls so i can cut up to 54 and eat the 6 inches of waste or just use the 48 inch rolls for plotter and then either bulk with a half roll of 60 or order kits for hood/roof? your opinions are appreciated. Lastly, where does every one buy blades for these things the only ones I see online are for the CE machines, will those blades work or is there somewhere else to get them for this machine. we are using DAP X and install xpel films. Thank You!

I wouldn't cut 60" rolls on the 54" plotter a lot.  Like you said, the 6" will cost you over time.  Ive been using a 54" plotter for years.  Bulking hoods is the way to go if you have a 54".   I only recently got a plotter that can cut 60" rolls.  And I still rarely cut a full hood pattern.  It helps when doing full cars and need to nest sides on a 60" roll and being able to cut that.  Also the sides of most cars are 48" or less so once again, the 54" plotter works.   So cut all your ppf up to 48" on that plotter.  If there are hoods that have vents or emblems on them, just line the pattern up to cut all the stuff out on the end that doesn't waste. Then let the top edge run off the cut, and just trim the top of the hood by hand.   Blades are the same for CE and FC series.   I would have bought that plotter if I had heard of a deal like that!  Winner!