Jump to content

Where is 3m getting their new ceramic film from?


Recommended Posts

Good luck with finding that info out.  However, I can assure you that the film is not a rebox of another film, it is a one-off film made for 3M...even their entry-level Obsidian is a one-off film.  Not to mention it has been in the works and testing for over 3 years...no point in testing an already existing product for that long.  Also, compared to other big manufacturer ceramic films, it is actually one of the cheapest priced.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

Good luck with finding that info out.  However, I can assure you that the film is not a rebox of another film, it is a one-off film made for 3M...even their entry-level Obsidian is a one-off film.  Not to mention it has been in the works and testing for over 3 years...no point in testing an already existing product for that long.  Also, compared to other big manufacturer ceramic films, it is actually one of the cheapest priced.

i use the obsidian because it feels very similar to color stable which i believe must be the one off you're talking about, thank you for the reply!

Link to comment

Obsidian and Color Stable are both 1-ply films that are 2-2.5mil thick which is why they shrink different than a traditional 2-ply film like FX PM.  I am not sure about Ceramic IR, but will find out Friday and will post here.  I'm just hoping the color looks closer to regular films...I didn't like the color of Obsidian.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, DynamicATL said:

Obsidian and Color Stable are both 1-ply films that are 2-2.5mil thick which is why they shrink different than a traditional 2-ply film like FX PM.  I am not sure about Ceramic IR, but will find out Friday and will post here.  I'm just hoping the color looks closer to regular films...I didn't like the color of Obsidian.

 

How is the color/shade like of the Obsidian?

Link to comment
On November 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM, DynamicATL said:

Obsidian and Color Stable are both 1-ply films that are 2-2.5mil thick which is why they shrink different than a traditional 2-ply film like FX PM.  I am not sure about Ceramic IR, but will find out Friday and will post here.  I'm just hoping the color looks closer to regular films...I didn't like the color of Obsidian.

Give them 6 months and they will all match anyway...purple lol

Link to comment
3 hours ago, TomTint said:

Give them 6 months and they will all match anyway...purple lol

 

That was only the older FX series which I believe now has been updated to not have that issue.  All the films except FX have a color change warranty.  One of the guys here has Color Stable on his car for over 3 years and still looks perfect.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

 

This is the Obsidian 35, only did the rear window since it was a sample.

 

 

IMG_20181010_161536.jpg

IMG_20181010_161615.jpg

In not a car guy anymore...but is that film thick ? ..it looks like poo poo on the defroster lines....and also looks a bit shiny ...?

Edited by TomTint
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  •   Sponsored by
    STEKAutomotive



    premiumgard



    Advertise Here



  • Donate with PayPal
  • Activity Stream

    1. 0

      Experienced tinter needed in Atlanta

    2. 8,644

      The Off Topic Thread

    3. 1

      Dissapointed customer

    4. 1

      Dissapointed customer

×
×
  • Create New...