DFW/Lewisville: Recently relocated and enthusiastic learner with 1yr exp looking..

Greetings fellow Tintziens,

On a whim I started helping a neighbor and owner of a great one man tint company down in central Texas over a year ago. He didn't do autos anymore but built up his companys rep installing all sorts of flat glass films; frost, security and high quality residential and commercial tints. He was a great teacher and I spent the first few months just prepping the glass, pulling gaskets and cleaning the freshly tinted windows when he was done.

He was careful and often stressed to me the do's and dont's required of how to do things right the first time. Working side by side he then started slowly teaching me the fundamentals of applying the film, how to measure efficently, roll the film properly to facilitate application and how to hold an Olfa. Before long I was applying the films myself with him tinting other parts of the jobsite yet available in case I had a question or impending disaster. Together we also installed all sorts of indoor and outdoor signage and wraps.

What started as a whim ended up as the beginning of a great education. I was excited to learn and looking forward to making tinting my full-time occupation when I was forced to rather unexpectedly move up to the Lake Lewisville/ Dallas area. Without my teacher and still not confident enough to consider myself the experienced tinter shops were looking for I gave up tinting for other opportunities.

It didnt take long to miss the zen-like state and over all freedoms afforded by tinting and now I'd seriously like to dive back into it fulltime.  I would relish the opportunity to get experience working on autos as well as many of his colleages enjoyed doing.

Are there any shops in the DFW / Denton /Lewisville area with a position for someone whose not a greenhorn yet definitely not a seasoned tinter? or any tinters out there that would share some advice on how I could continue learning to tint? I understand my pay would be commensurate on my experience and therefore reduced but I feel Im right on the cusp of solo independent flatglass tinting and would love to gain the knowledge of tinting vehicles.

Thank you for reading this long post. All the tinters I've met have been nice and really helpful people who take pride in what they do.