Exterior Film Johnsons

Hi guys, 

I wanted to ask what your experience was with JWF exterior film and how long it usually lasts. What we're looking into is the SV25 exterior films and the DN exterior films. Also how long do you usually wait before you install the seals? And any tips on exterior installations since we're looking into starting to do it more and to see what ways we can ensure to make it last longer. Like how thick are your seals?

Thanks. 

Edited by tintittowinit

To date, the ONLY may that has a purpose built exterior film is Hanita. All the others that promote "exterior" films are slapping their AG SR coating on their interior films and letting it out the door.......

1 hour ago, TomTint said:

To date, the ONLY may that has a purpose built exterior film is Hanita. All the others that promote "exterior" films are slapping their AG SR coating on their interior films and letting it out the door.......

Hey Tom, 

Okay I see, as for lifespan how long would you think it would last? Let's say in a tropical area with high humidity? Does that factor in or is UV just the main concern? And how long do you wait before you have it sealed? 

Also now that AveryDennison has bought them has their operations and quality stayed the same? 

Edited by tintittowinit

4 hours ago, tintittowinit said:

Hey Tom, 

Okay I see, as for lifespan how long would you think it would last? Let's say in a tropical area with high humidity? Does that factor in or is UV just the main concern? And how long do you wait before you have it sealed? 

Also now that AveryDennison has bought them has their operations and quality stayed the same? 

I would expect to see noticable deterioration in less than 3 years. I'm told Hanita is still being made same as it was before AD, weather that will continue to be the case in the months or years to come has yet to be determined. 

33 minutes ago, TomTint said:

I would expect to see noticable deterioration in less than 3 years.

What are your thoughts on like... Solyx Cool Grey.. I installed that externally... sealed edges. They said it would be ok - I don't recall the lifespan they said it *should* have - but the client didn't really care. (My paperwork gave them a 1 yr warr)

I drive by the place all the time... still looks good but it's only been a yr and a half. 

10 minutes ago, Roach said:

What are your thoughts on like... Solyx Cool Grey.. I installed that externally... sealed edges. They said it would be ok - I don't recall the lifespan they said it *should* have - but the client didn't really care. (My paperwork gave them a 1 yr warr)

I drive by the place all the time... still looks good but it's only been a yr and a half. 

If I r call, Cool Gray is a PET film. And it's designed for interior. It should under most situations last a year or more outside. Lots of variables...is there a overhang, was it edge sealed, does it get wet, does it get direct sun exposure...up in the North East we get the freez thaw cycle which is torture on exterior film. .. Had it been me, I would have told the client it's a interior film..you want it to deteriorate.. No warranty...they own it.. IMO it's not worth the liability to cater to someone who wants a p doubt to something it's not supposed too. 

3 minutes ago, TomTint said:

Lots of variables

True... as with all films. It's in Jersey.. so our winters are super freeze thaw cycle. All four edges were sealed.. I don't recall specifically if there is an overhang. I keep meaning to actually stop by the place to see how it looks up close... drive-by it looks fine.

Which it's been over a year, so I'm fine with what I gave them.

The situation was that they had installed a wall behind a couple windows.. had another company install the wrong film internally to block the studs and stuff... but you could still see them. So... external was the only choice. I contacted solyx for their advice.. and was given a choice of films. (different concerns absolutely - they want to sell something - I want a happy client - totally different goals) 

Maybe this week I'll make a point to actually stop by. The contractor hasn't contacted me... which I assume means the client hasn't contacted him... but I'm more curious then anything else. 95% of my jobs are no where near me... this one happened to be right down the road from where I live and that I drive by several times a week.

Even though I only gave them a 1 yr warr, I still want it to last much longer if possible. :thumb

11 hours ago, TomTint said:

I would expect to see noticable deterioration in less than 3 years. I'm told Hanita is still being made same as it was before AD, weather that will continue to be the case in the months or years to come has yet to be determined. 

How would that look like, the deterioration? Just to have an idea. Also would you know where I could get a hold of some hanita products in California? I was thinking of using 795 to seal it. Is that good? This is the first exterior project we might do so I wanna do it really well and have it last really long. Maybe around 7 to 10 years would be perfect for me already. I was looking into the xtrm line and it seemed the most interesting and safest for durability and lifespan. 

3 hours ago, tintittowinit said:

How would that look like, the deterioration? Just to have an idea. Also would you know where I could get a hold of some hanita products in California? I was thinking of using 795 to seal it. Is that good? This is the first exterior project we might do so I wanna do it really well and have it last really long. Maybe around 7 to 10 years would be perfect for me already. I was looking into the xtrm line and it seemed the most interesting and safest for durability and lifespan. 

The SR coating is the first thing to fail. It gets hazy or starts to flake. I don't know who the Hanita distributor is in your area but I'm sure you could contact AD for that. And 795 is fine., Or even spectrum for 1/2 the cost. 

Edited by TomTint

1 hour ago, TomTint said:

The SR coating is the first thing to fail. It gets hazy or starts to flake. I don't know who the Hanita distributor is in your area but I'm sure you could contact AD for that. And 795 is fine., Or even spectrum for 1/2 the cost. 

Would you have a photo of this? And how's your experience been with their exterior films? I'm just curious with all of this since I always want to make sure we use products that last. 

Thanks, Tom!