Better Marketing for Tinting

Better Marketing for Tinting   

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main way you market your business?

• SEO
    • Paid Ads (Google, FB, etc.)
    • Word of Mouth
  2. 2. Would you do more residential or commercial work or only focus on auto?

• Auto Only
    • More Commercial
    • More Residential
    • All 3
  3. 3. Are you actively pursuing commercial clients?

• Yes
    • No

I think most would agree that SEO is the #1 way to get consistent business. I run a lead gen business and was wondering if I should get into the window tinting niche. I'm not looking to close any of you guys as clients don't worry haha. I do however, want to make sure that I maximize my teams ability to help the clients we do reach out to through SEO and Google Ads. 

I've done a fair amount of post reading and I couldn't find anything where anyone talked about their ideal client. Is it a person looking for 3M Crystalline on their car? Or someone looking to tint the windows of their home? An apartment complex? It obviously would differ depending on the services focused on and provided, but on average which one would it be? 

I'm hoping to bring more commercial work to clients, but maybe most would prefer more auto work? So how can I be of the best help to this intriguing niche? 

Thanks!

I'm not sure there are any answers to your questions. I only do commercial & residential, and I prefer residential out of the two. 

But, I have friends that do all three, but prefer auto. Others prefer commercial. Each have their advantages... The market you work in is going to impact your focus greatly. IMO

Most tint shops that have been around for a hike have found their niche. Meaning that some guys have stayed with auto because it's the client base they have built. If they have graduated to resi and then commercial, many of those guys will ditch auto all together. I think I have only seen one large commercial outfit go backwards and get into auto..and it's not going well. This is the difficulty you run into with SEO for window film, it has to be very targeted and you need to know more about the customer than the business. What is the. ideal customer looking for ? If it's a auto customer, they may just google car tinting near me. A homeowner may search something like UV making my furniture fade, a commercial customer may look for energy efficient Windows. ....there are numerous variables 

I've been tinting for around three years, started out in a shop doing cars and later moved onto more residential/commercial work. I now have my own side-business apart from my day job doing solely residential/commercial work. Every single client I've gotten has been from a walk-in and selling it to them on the spot. I've got a website and SEO on my pages but all it seems to generate are calls about tinting cars!

I'm in a rather populated city with construction everywhere, so the market for commercial jobs is abundant but hard to get in touch with contractors who are willing to give the new guy in town a chance.

I agree with Roach, analyze the market surrounding you and focus on the one that fits best. Any time you drive or go anywhere keep on the lookout for buildings or neighborhoods that could use some tint. Also, don't be afraid to do some in-person sales to the ones you see!

1 hour ago, Sisqouc said:

How many owners with SEO and the words window tinting in their name get calls that ask "do you do window tinting"? So much for micro targeting.

All. The. Time. I even answer the phone "******* tint shop" and have people immediately ask "do you do window tint?"

On November 21, 2019 at 10:06 AM, Sterling said:

I've been tinting for around three years, started out in a shop doing cars and later moved onto more residential/commercial work. I now have my own side-business apart from my day job doing solely residential/commercial work. Every single client I've gotten has been from a walk-in and selling it to them on the spot. I've got a website and SEO on my pages but all it seems to generate are calls about tinting cars!

I'm in a rather populated city with construction everywhere, so the market for commercial jobs is abundant but hard to get in touch with contractors who are willing to give the new guy in town a chance.

I agree with Roach, analyze the market surrounding you and focus on the one that fits best. Any time you drive or go anywhere keep on the lookout for buildings or neighborhoods that could use some tint. Also, don't be afraid to do some in-person sales to the ones you see!

It's not often that you are going to get called from a contractor out of the blue. More often than not you need to make the first contact... A box of donuts and a few large coffees usually softens the cold call. I have said this several times here over the years, and will again. Commercial work is all about get in, get out, and don't cause the GC any headaches. They really don't give a shit if you are "the best" ..they just want you to get in, get out and don't cause them any headaches. In fact they want this and..for you to be low bid. Otherwise it's the next man up. Commercial work is great, it's the lion share of what we do. But there is often more paperwork involved than tinting work. Our insurance is also incredibly comprehensive  .. And expensive.. All this said, we have a company who does our web SEO and hosting. It honestly generates almost zero commercial prospects. ..we get the typical clown who calls and says "Yo..how much u get to put tints on mi ride" ... 

Edited by TomTint

we get the typical clow who calls and says "Yo..how much u get to put tints on mi ride" ...

Which is the other problem... more so if you don't do auto - is how to NOT have your marketing, online at least, not go to people looking for auto tint. 

If someone could figure that out..... :money

:lol

We have 3 retail location that does tint and 4 sign shop that give us lead for vehicle and commercial job.  We also take care of 2 dealership but only for Crystalline and a few other high end service. We are very spoil with retail money and the profit that come with it.  I am a firm believer of brick and mortar shop at a nice side of town.

fullsizeoutput_20e.jpeg

IMG_1824.JPG

uyndqZtdRDGtEJmNAO5hKw.jpg