French Doors

Hi everyone,

I have a few sets of these french doors with single panes to knock out this weekend.  I'm not looking forward to it.  Any tips?

I sold ceramic for this job which i'm now regretting, due to how thick and difficult it is to work with.  

Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated.  

Thanks!

IMG_5996.jpg

For those - they don't look super small... which is a good thing. In any event... depending on the size of the job, I try and pre-cut them. I'll do a rough cut from the roll... and then use my table to cut at least two of the sides of each square using a t-square I got from home depot. That gives me at least two straight edges - sometimes three if I can work it out with the factory edge from the roll. 

Other then that... they suck. :lol 

Thanks Roach!  Very helpful advice.

I made a huge mistake when I bidded the job and didn't get exact measurements.  I just know that I need *roughly* a 12x12 pattern for each pane.

I'm attempting to pre cut everything, but it's not going well.   I have a 36" roll with a box slitter set up at 12" and 24", giving me three 12" cuts.  I have yet to get a good straight edge from my middle piece.  

I think I will pick up a cutting mat of some sort and a good T-Square - thanks for the tip.

I've done a few of these before and I found it impossible to get perfect cuts... I'm assuming a few imperfections are to be expected?  

1 hour ago, Apex Tint said:

I think I will pick up a cutting mat of some sort and a good T-Square - thanks for the tip.

Thats what I would do... even w/o exact measurements, that should give you at least two straight edges to use. Better then none. 

:thumb

A film handler would make your life easier, but you can also use a paper cutter. I don't like the style that was poster earlier, I like the rotary ones much better. I would cut them to the exact width you need and leave it long on the bottom, and only trim that 1 edge. Clean the glass better than you think you need too...then. Do it again. 

Edited by TomTint