Flat Glass Education

Hey all, 

Im starting this topic in order to learn more about flat glass! I personally have a knowledge of application, but I would love to know more about the following:

- Tools of choice?

- What films can be applied to what type of glass?

- What glass should you NOT apply film?

- Whats your techniques of choice?

- Tips and advice?

I live in Florida if that makes any difference to answers. If there's websites or another place on this site that I can find these answers, please direct me! I'm looking to do as much research as possible.

Also interested in some of this info as well.....

recommendations of suppliers as well. I use global currently for auto, should I just use their residential and commercial films as well or look elsewhere?? 

Thanks 

Whatever film you choose to carry - they all should have a film-2-glass chart, which helps you to know what films are safe for what glass. Glass types kindof vary according to area, like here in NJ almost all homes/offices have the same glass types that are going to be different from down south... or out west. Point being - while there are a lot of glass types, your area will generally have this this and this. So you don't really, imo, need to know every single type of glass and what you can use on it. It don't hurt to know every single type of glass/window, but I don't think you absolutely need to know it all.

Tools - you need a spray bottle... scraper & blade... cleaning squeegees... install squeegees.. knives and a hard card. That's the basics. tons of other tools you could and probably should add over time, not that you would use them on every job... but on that one job where you need a certain tool.... it's worth having. You just kindof add stuff along the way as situations come up. There are tools you won't know you need until you need them... you'll figure it out at the time since you won't have it, but then you'll order it and have it for the next time.

Or you can just buy everything... just hard to know what you might need until you need it. Just kindof sucks you can't exactly go down to the Home Depot and pick something up the day you are doing a job during lunch or something. You just make due at the time so you can get the job done. 

Anyway... just a few of my thoughts. 

If you decide to get into FG, I have a few tips. First, examine your market. Are you looking toward residential or commercial. If you are green in FG, starting in resi is a better option. Commercial contractors won't give you the time of day if you can't perform, carry significant insurance, and have a problem waiting for money. With resi, first thing to do is clean up your act. Far too. Any "tinters" show up in some type of Honda of Toyota with wheels that look like they are on broken axles, Sterio blasting some Snoop Dog crap, and dress like they should be selling a 50 rock in some back ally. People don't want this on their property let alone in their home. 

Dress like you are going to a job interview...where you really want the job. You must learn, know and understand your product, as well as every other product your competitors offer. Know the pros and cons of all of them and be ready to explain them  in a way a 5 year old can understand to the homeowner. Know what the different glass types are and how film effects them, know what your costs goin in are and what your costs going out will be. Be able to show the homeowner how the film will work and benefit them via some solar tool. IE BTU meter, heat lamp, UV card etc. Have nice, well laid out and glossy pamphlets that back up your sales pitch that you can give to the homeowner.. Bring pieces of film with you that you can actually install on the glass if needed so the customer can see it on their home. 

This business is such a blind purchase transaction, what this means is that it is really no different than being a painter, carpet installer or even a mattress salesman. People are buying blind, they have no idea how paint, film, carpet of mattresses are made... And they really don't care. They just want someone to solve a problem. 

I can go on for days about this but it's basic business sence and practices. 

..Now Commercial.... Which is our primary business, is a different animal entirely. On the front end making the initial contacts it's similar to resi. Meaning you need to show a strong knowledge of product and present your business in the most favorable light possible. But after that it's all about the numbers and performance. Commercial contractors don't give a shit if you are "the best" .. They want you to get in, get out, and not mess up their hair. Just do your job, quickly, as cheap as possible and without causing them any problems. 

I can only give you one advice from me "built the relationship and the job is your" 

Tom sum it all up....I rarely bid on a job and when I do ....I win it all due to a relationship.

Hell I was the 2nd highest bidder out of 6 bidder of a big job...I got it due to the relationship and he show me everyone bid.  I was the lowest bidder after seeing the bid due to the other 4 guy forgot to includes some glass that was located back in the kitchen.  After sitting down with him and explaining that, he trusted me enough to give me a 50% deposit.

On 12/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, TomTint said:

You must learn, know and understand your product, as well as every other product your competitors offer. Know the pros and cons of all of them and be ready to explain them  in a way a 5 year old can understand to the homeowner. Know what the different glass types are and how film effects them, know what your costs goin in are and what your costs going out will be. Be able to show the homeowner how the film will work and benefit them via some solar tool. IE BTU meter, heat lamp, UV card etc.

This is great!! 

One question...

Where/what is the best source for all of this info? Where or how do i get good reliable info?