Need Help in Setting up Commission or Bonus Structure

unless you are busy year round dont pay straight commision . they will want pay for everything including cleaning up and want to leave shop early if nothing showing up .i have seen good salaried employees change for the bad when they change to  straight commision .  

Way back, I was paid a straight 35% commission when I was a window tinter working for a shop in Colorado.  They switched me over to a price per vehicle which technically made me more $$ when doing a job for a car dealership, but I got hosed when doing a retail job.. Cost me $2000 the first month and I quit and became their competition.  Haven't looked back since and wish I had worked for myself from much earlier.

Point being, anything that makes a change to someone's already expected earnings (Specifically lowering their pay for whatever reason) Isn't going to go well.  But if they work harder/faster/do a better job and they make more $$ because of it, they are unlikely to leave.

I was paid 35% off of the total, before tax.  So if I tinted a SUV for $200, I'd get $70 bux.  This was for window tinting, and not sure how PPF would work along these lines, as PPF makes me a lot more $$ per hour than window tint ever did. (Talking vehicles here.. Flat glass probably produces similar $$ per hour to PPF)

For sure, if they learn that they will make more $$ by doing 2 full front wraps a day instead of doing 1 (Without loss of quality of course) Then they make more $$ and you make more $$.  I'd not be interested at all in a regular salary.  In fact, I worked in a shop before where everyone was paid a % except one dude making a salary. Well guess what?  He got all the really high $$ jobs since it cost the owners the same, and the rest of us go the pain in the A$$ jobs, such as the Olds Cutlass Supremes...