Noob to the tint game, looking for input.

Hey what's up everyone.

I am new to the tint business other then being exposed second hand. I've decided to dive into it, but I don't want to waste money. I already do paint/restorations, vinyl, spray wraps etc. 

Anyways, I've decided that I want to get a plotter for tints, and plan to bulk PPF. I am moving forward with SunTek products for both.

My question is model and size of the plotter. After reading alot on here, graphtec seems to be the only brand to go with so I will just do that. 

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, highplains said:

If you're already doing vinyl as well I'd personally go with either a 60 or a 72, that way you have the ability to cut graphics and full PPF panels as well. 

I've considered it, the only thing I keep thinking is I can bulk the ppf and we don't get a huge demand for large graphics being I don't have a printer. That is all pretty new to me. I've seen people say that the suppliers will give equipment for free but not sure what it takes to get that bonus.

1 hour ago, EightyEight said:

I've considered it, the only thing I keep thinking is I can bulk the ppf and we don't get a huge demand for large graphics being I don't have a printer. That is all pretty new to me. I've seen people say that the suppliers will give equipment for free but not sure what it takes to get that bonus.

In that case a 42 will suit your needs. 

If you're planning to plotter cut tint yes. Most back glass patterns for sedans are going to require a 36" wide roll of film, some are going to require a 40" roll which is why I recommended the 42" models. There are very few rear windows you'll be able to one piece with a 20" roll and even some side windows, particularly Ford F-series pickups manufactured in the last 20 years immediately come to mind, that can't be done with a 20" roll. In my shop we have a 42" Graphtec and I exclusively stock 40" rolls of tint. Once you play with your cutting software and figure it out you'll be able to manipulate and arrange what you're cutting to best fit the size roll you're working with and minimize waste.

7 hours ago, highplains said:

If you're planning to plotter cut tint yes. Most back glass patterns for sedans are going to require a 36" wide roll of film, some are going to require a 40" roll which is why I recommended the 42" models. There are very few rear windows you'll be able to one piece with a 20" roll and even some side windows, particularly Ford F-series pickups manufactured in the last 20 years immediately come to mind, that can't be done with a 20" roll. In my shop we have a 42" Graphtec and I exclusively stock 40" rolls of tint. Once you play with your cutting software and figure it out you'll be able to manipulate and arrange what you're cutting to best fit the size roll you're working with and minimize waste.

I was thinking about bulking the large windows. If I do that think I could get away with a ce6000-60? A 24" plotter?

I'm not familiar with that series of plotter, I run the FC8600-100 in my shop and honestly wouldn't waste my time with a smaller one. My personal thoughts are if your going to plan on hand cutting larger windows skip the plotter and hand cut everything. You're going to be paying for the software regardless, you might as well set yourself up to best utilize it. Really my best advice is to just start out hand cutting everything and forgo the expense of the plotter until you know you're going to stick with it, you'll need to know how to hand cut anyway so you might as well hone that skill to start with.

Sounds like your trying to go the cheap route. Everyone has their own budget.We have 40in Roland plotters and love them for tint. A 24 in plotter will drive you nuts when you wanna get something done quickly and still have to hand cut the rear glass. We ran a 24 in for about 6 months and then went bigger.