Jump to content
3M
spacer
3M
spacer
Sign in to follow this  
Priorprep

What to do when PPF install is bad and manufacturer won't respond?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I was looking for a PPF forum that had this product installed already as I figured someone may have had a similar issue. Having a horrible experience with a PPF install that went wrong for someone I know, the whole car is peeling, knife mark, film doesn't meet the edge of panels and isn't uniform some is tucked some isn't. Installer said they would fix it then would respond intermittently about when to bring the car back. After the knife mark and the poor quality of the install you would see why someone would be hesitant. I tried contacting the manufacturer which directed us back to the installer end of last year. Then a bad game of phone tag when both parties were away for the holidays with the installer saying to come in when his PPF installer is present to look it over even though I sent over a dozen photos up close of the issues. Finally they got it seen last month by the original installer when they had their installer present which agreed the film install was bad and needed to be replaced. They said they would call back in about two weeks almost four weeks ago and never did until this week. They only responded after sending a email to the manufacturer stating they want a different STEK authorized installer to fix/ replace the film and ceramic coating or a refund which then they would pay to have the film stripped and go with a different brand which stands behind its product like 3M assuming the knife mark is not below the film into the clear coat or paint.

 

The original installer agreed the install was bad and that they fired the person they had doing their PPF when it was originally installed last year. On top of the PPF CarPro CQuartz coating was paid for. What do you guys suggest? These photos are a few months old when I first started trying to get the manufacturer aware of the issue so peeling is worse now. On their other vehicles done by either the manufacturer or dealer with 3M PPF the films edges can't be clearly seen and they are much tighter around the edges of the front bumper etc also they never peeled or needed to be touched up. All of their cars are cleaned by the same people and the 3M film hasn't had a issue over several years. Some chrome trim I found also wasn't covered and it was supposed to be a full PPF install. 

 

For a point of comparison I asked Suntek and Xpel to review the images if their installers had installed this if it was up to their standards and they both agreed it was not and if it was their product they would have been involved including sending someone to inspect the work. STEK would not comment and directed me back to the installer. Though I did speak with a salesperson which agreed with me about when film would peel which is when its overstretched or a issue possibly with prep. From what i can find there should be a slip then tack solution at least for 3M. 

 

What would you do in this situation and what do you think went wrong with the install to cause it all to peel when no pressure washer was used?

 

542915735_Cutmark.jpg.d7416faceb8f27577758e2ae7c6ecb14.jpg

Small amount of peeling film doesn't go to the edge of the body part.jpg

Large peeling.jpg

Doesn't meet panel edge and not uniform.jpg

Edited by Priorprep

Share this post


Link to post

Dang, that's a bummer. I'm guessing you're gonna need to try to lawyer up, but good luck with that.  The install is sub par at best, but that knife cut is inexcusable.  

Share this post


Link to post

That is horrible instillation quality. ..I have said here before...for the life of me I can't see why anyone would put PPf on their car. There is simply no ROI on it ...ever. 

Share this post


Link to post

I would have to say you probably won’t have any luck getting the manufacture to pay for any of that.  They are there for defects in the film and any failure with the actual product.  End result they might discontinue selling product to that installer but those issues are all installation errors. The puckering you see is because there was to much material in that area and the installer tried to make it lay down.  Also the cut marks are from an inexperienced installer, plain and simple.  
 

You stated that there was ceramic coating put on the car?  Was that under on on top of the ppf?

Share this post


Link to post

Being that those are installation issues, if you don’t get cooperation from the original installer quickly, you’ll likely end up taking them to small claims court if the manufacturer can’t convince them to act quickly.  
 

Call the shop and manufacturer one more time.  I bet they get it taken care of. 

Edited by XPEL Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, jonathan9573 said:

I would have to say you probably won’t have any luck getting the manufacture to pay for any of that.  They are there for defects in the film and any failure with the actual product.  End result they might discontinue selling product to that installer but those issues are all installation errors. The puckering you see is because there was to much material in that area and the installer tried to make it lay down.  Also the cut marks are from an inexperienced installer, plain and simple.  
 

You stated that there was ceramic coating put on the car?  Was that under on on top of the ppf?

 

Yes the ceramic coating was applied over the PPF. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, XPEL Jeff said:

Being that those are installation issues, if you don’t get cooperation from the original installer quickly, you’ll likely end up taking them to small claims court if the manufacturer can’t convince them to act quickly.  
 

Call the shop and manufacturer one more time.  I bet they get it taken care of. 

 

The shop said they will redo it but the shop allowed the car to go out like this with the cut mark etc when they installed the Ceramic coating and was unresponsive after. The value is too high for small claims court unfortunately in NY. The manufacturer STEK I've been sending emails to daily with no response aside from after the second email asking to schedule a call but took several days and called finally made contact. 

Edited by Priorprep
Correction Jeff was right.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, TomTint said:

That is horrible instillation quality. ..I have said here before...for the life of me I can't see why anyone would put PPf on their car. There is simply no ROI on it ...ever. 

PPF if done properly like on the other cars that were done by the dealer/ factory can make maintenance a lot easier especially when you pay extra for out of range paint etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Priorprep said:

PPF if done properly like on the other cars that were done by the dealer/ factory can make maintenance a lot easier especially when you pay extra for out of range paint etc. 

I have paint protection on all my cars and would never go without it.  Keeps the car in top shape.  

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...