Interested in Starting Flat Glass

Hey guys,

I’m really new here (joined March 6th) so if this has been covered before please direct me there. I’m really interested in getting started in doing residential and commercial jobs but don’t know where to start. I’ve been tinting for a dealership now for 3 years and really enjoy my work. I’m just very curious in doing flat glass and would like to satisfy that curiosity. I have a few questions such as what my best/ most cost effective film would be to use to start with, if there’s any type of  film that customers most commonly want (darkness, reflective, etc.) and what I need to do to help me get jobs. 
The dealership I tint for uses Llumar but I know getting a roll of that would be expensive and I don’t want to get to deep into it financially in the beginning. I’m not wanting to cheap out, I know that’s going to hurt. But since I’m ignorant in flat glass I’d like the best bang for my buck. 
I’m located in Northeast Mississippi if that helps any of you with answers!

Thanks!

You're going to be paying around the same per roll for resi film when it comes to any major film manufacturer. DO NOT USE AUTO FILM. Maybe you can find a way to order through the dealership until you get your feet off the ground. Tell them you're wanting to tint your home or a friends. Or you can try to become a dealer yourself but usually have a buy-in that requires a large order. Check out Suntek. If I remember they don't require a large initial order to become a dealer. Just think though, one good home or commercial tint job would pay for two rolls of film.

Most popular film I use in my area is the Dual reflective and Neutral series of film. Customers with glare issues you want to recommend at least 25% to notice a significant change. Use Neutral like N1040 for offices and building who have heat issues but their building or property code requires little to no reflectivity.

LLumar is what I use and it's super easy to work with. Only issues I've had were some curling in certain conditions on certain films.

Also, I wouldn't tell anyone at the dealership you're branching out.

14 hours ago, BradhamSolar said:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I already knew to stay away from auto film. I’ve seen horror stories on this forum. Once I get a little experience, how would you suggest finding jobs? Getting out and going door to door or is there a better strategy?

Ha, I'm slowly figuring it out too. I'd take some time and create a website and flyers that you can go around and leave at the door. Maybe talk to some customers who come in and get their cars tinted. It's gonna take some patience. Most of my jobs are commercial and almost all of them are from me just walking in and selling it to them. Maybe see if there are any community events around your town or some home improvement shows.

I'm more afraid of Neutral film on flat glass than I am of "automotive" film. What matters is the absorption of the film and neutral 20 or darker films absorb a lot.

Interestingly, some ceramic films do too. There is a surprising amount of stuff to learn, and I would say read a lot of the literature companies put out. Specs and brochures.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:01 PM, Sterling said:

You're going to be paying around the same per roll for resi film when it comes to any major film manufacturer. DO NOT USE AUTO FILM. Maybe you can find a way to order through the dealership until you get your feet off the ground. Tell them you're wanting to tint your home or a friends. Or you can try to become a dealer yourself but usually have a buy-in that requires a large order. Check out Suntek. If I remember they don't require a large initial order to become a dealer. Just think though, one good home or commercial tint job would pay for two rolls of film.

Most popular film I use in my area is the Dual reflective and Neutral series of film. Customers with glare issues you want to recommend at least 25% to notice a significant change. Use Neutral like N1040 for offices and building who have heat issues but their building or property code requires little to no reflectivity.

LLumar is what I use and it's super easy to work with. Only issues I've had were some curling in certain conditions on certain films.

Also, I wouldn't tell anyone at the dealership you're branching out.

What products have curling issues?

Just auto?