spacer
xpel
suntek
spacer
Sign in to follow this  
Tint Slayer

Coronavirus

16 hours ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

Here’s something positive that can come from all of this carnage. Those who survive this event will be stronger as all those $99 tint shops will most likely be going out of business. This is also an excellent opportunity to renegotiate your lease. 🍻 to a better days ahead. 

I've always said that those 99 dollar shops hurt the industry more than anything. I have 3m and suntek and they want that for 120 bucks.

21 hours ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

Here’s something positive that can come from all of this carnage. Those who survive this event will be stronger as all those $99 tint shops will most likely be going out of business. This is also an excellent opportunity to renegotiate your lease. 🍻 to a better days ahead. 

Its unlikely those shops will go away. Their start up costs and overhead tend to be much lower and thus they tend to be able to throw a flag out on the street and open shop immediately. .. The "big" shops by and large can hang on for several months as well assuming they have savings and banking relationships to get them through hard times. 

The mid level shops are the ones who are going to take the hardest hit. These are the shops that have high rent on their shops, high payments on cars, and live hand to mouth... those are the ones who will suffer. ..When the country re opens..people will be very tight with spending for several months as they have likely burnt through any savings they may have had..This will also be a benefit to the 99.00 guy. 

boy am i glad i did what i did 2 years ago

i ran my shop for close to 30 years-without taking into account supplies, the shop cost me about $3200.00 per month to run(rent, travel, utilities,etc)

2 years ago i paid off everything and built a new garage at my house and took my business there.  except for my utility bills going up a bit, i run my shop for nothing except for tint supplies.  raised my prices a bit to get rid of the garbage work. 

now i guess i'm considered a backyard tinter but i'll take that title with pleasure with our current situation.

The mid level shops are the ones who are going to take the hardest hit. These are the shops that have high rent on their shops, high payments on cars, and live hand to mouth... those are the ones who will suffer. ..When the country re opens..people will be very tight with spending for several months as they have likely burnt through any savings they may have had.

This is where I fall, unfortunately :sad   Being able to stay open is the only way I can or would have survived this.  Being rural enough to stay open has been a blessing.  

6 hours ago, jconnors said:

boy am i glad i did what i did 2 years ago

i ran my shop for close to 30 years-without taking into account supplies, the shop cost me about $3200.00 per month to run(rent, travel, utilities,etc)

2 years ago i paid off everything and built a new garage at my house and took my business there.  except for my utility bills going up a bit, i run my shop for nothing except for tint supplies.  raised my prices a bit to get rid of the garbage work. 

now i guess i'm considered a backyard tinter but i'll take that title with pleasure with our current situation.

We started back in 1985 as a detail shop, added auto tint.. had a 1,000 + soft costs a month shop. Went a few years like that and ended the detail end. Found myself on the road more and more doing dealers and resi. ..Got rid of the shop all together for 20+ years. We did the few retail customers at my home garage ( which was nicer than the shop garage ). A couple years ago we bought a new building to keep materials in as well as the UV printer etc. ..Back in the days when we were mobile doing auto.. I would easily do 350k a year. Biggest expense was fuel and trading for a new truck every year. ..Pretty easy living. I suspect I was netting more than many shop owners who had a big fancy Main St office. 

2 hours ago, TomTint said:

We started back in 1985 as a detail shop, added auto tint.. had a 1,000 + soft costs a month shop. Went a few years like that and ended the detail end. Found myself on the road more and more doing dealers and resi. ..Got rid of the shop all together for 20+ years. We did the few retail customers at my home garage ( which was nicer than the shop garage ). A couple years ago we bought a new building to keep materials in as well as the UV printer etc. ..Back in the days when we were mobile doing auto.. I would easily do 350k a year. Biggest expense was fuel and trading for a new truck every year. ..Pretty easy living. I suspect I was netting more than many shop owners who had a big fancy Main St office. 

You said the word Tom. "Netting" Something people seems to forget about. People chase the clout of looking the part. Image is important, but not to the detriment  of your finances. I have been down sizing over the years. Guess what. I have also been keeping more money. Maybe it's not smart text book business model. I don't make money off other people working. But I am a worker and that's okay with me. It's not perfect, and who knows it may bite me in the ass years down the road... My favorite quote is " it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep".

1 hour ago, Jake said:

You said the word Tom. "Netting" Something people seems to forget about. People chase the clout of looking the part. Image is important, but not to the detriment  of your finances. I have been down sizing over the years. Guess what. I have also been keeping more money. Maybe it's not smart text book business model. I don't make money off other people working. But I am a worker and that's okay with me. It's not perfect, and who knows it may bite me in the ass years down the road... My favorite quote is " it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep".

amen!

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a Jiffy Steamer to sanitize customers cars? Anyone? Im trying to gear back up to go to work in a couple of weeks when the city says I can reopen without being fined as long as I follow the guidlines laid out by the city council and city attorneys office, (my husbands boss) my hubby IS the city prosecutor so therefore I have to follow the rules more so than anyone else.

30 minutes ago, TNTLady said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a Jiffy Steamer to sanitize customers cars? Anyone? Im trying to gear back up to go to work in a couple of weeks when the city says I can reopen without being fined as long as I follow the guidlines laid out by the city council and city attorneys office, (my husbands boss) my hubby IS the city prosecutor so therefore I have to follow the rules more so than anyone else.

Probably want to be careful with it in terms of how much moisture you're putting on the surface, particularly with leather near any seams/stitching but it should work to help sanitize. If you have access to a pressure steamer i think that would be a little better suited since the steam output is a little dryer than the jiffy, as odd as it is to think about it that way.

9 hours ago, TNTLady said:

Just to mention i read somewhere you need 158 degrees to kill the virus on food (don't know how long the heat needs to be applied), so if you have a temp gun to read the temp you may want to check you're steaming the surface at an adequate and also not damaging temp.