Window Tinting - Is it that hard? (for a professional)

I've got to ask because I would really like my windows tinted, but I can't find anyone to do it reasonably.

Is the Challenger that hard? I've talked to 3 local businesses, and left a message for a 4th. Of the 3 that I've talked to, 2 refused to tint my car, and 1 added $150 just because it was a Challenger.

Is this normal?

Edited by TintDude
spam links

The Challenger has always had issues with the thick rear defroster lines. Thin film will not stick to it for well and will lead to bubbles and lines along the defroster lines so it's recommended to put a thicker film like Llumar CTX on it. You can use steel wool on the defroster to take them down a little, but it could damage the defroster lines and make the rear defroster unusable. The rest of the car is easy. I wouldn't attempt it yourself because it will not look good and you'll end up paying someone to strip and retint it. The guy who wants to charge you an extra $150 may be factoring in the cost of the higher quality film to combat the thick defroster.

As for what material is best, that's gonna be opinionated around here. I've only used LLumar and FormulaOne my entire tinting career and I have little complaints on the film.

To answer your question: yes, window tinting is a difficult skill to learn, master and become a 'professional'. 

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself as you will probably waste your money, time, and stress. I don't have a huge issue with most of these but I do a bit of extra prep work on them now based on a few past experiences/issues with the defroster lines. They do take a bit longer than other cars for me to do. Personally I do not charge more for them but I have found that a few give me problems and few don't. Its a coin toss really. But I can see why some would charge extra. $150 extra doesn't seem reasonable to me but if they are going to charge you that, they better give you a great install in return. 

You got a backglass that will make a newbie installer cry and wish he didn’t take that car because his skill level wasn’t there yet. You also got felt that Need to be tape Up to have a quality install. We charge $50-$100 more due to the extra prep work for that model. My team are highly skill in doing that car and we do it in 1 - 1 1/2 hr. You are paying for all the years it took us to be able to do it that vehicle/tint efficiency and properly = Experience.  Pick a shop that you trust not how cheap they charge. A more expensive shop is usually the right choice but not always true!!!! Some shop are more expensive due to them subbing it out. 

Edited by Midtown Houston

14 hours ago, Midtown Houston said:

You got a backglass that will make a newbie installer cry and wish he didn’t take that car because his skill level wasn’t there yet. You also got felt that Need to be tape Up to have a quality install. We charge $50-$100 more due to the extra prep work for that model. My team are highly skill in doing that car and we do it in 1 - 1 1/2 hr. You are paying for all the years it took us to be able to do it that vehicle/tint efficiency and properly = Experience.  Pick a shop that you trust not how cheap they charge. A more expensive shop is usually the right choice but not always true!!!! Some shop are more expensive due to them subbing it out. 

Isn't it frameless doors on a challenger? So where is a need for felt taping?