Sign in to follow this  
Guest Henry Yu

Vinegar as PPF tack solution

Guest Henry Yu

Does anyone here use vinegar as a PPF tack solution? I’ve been using it lately after switching from alcohol and it’s great but I noticed that there will be some blotches under the film. However, they seem to all go away after a few days. I usually dilute it a bit but not sure if I need to dilute it more. Anyone else have this happen to them? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Guest Henry Yu

I got the idea from Austin Cook from The Tintstitute that’s what he said he uses along with a few other installers as well. Doesn’t seem to damage the paint at all and works extremely well as a tack solution. 

Its commonly used substitute for alcohol.  I would dilute it until it does tack fast anymore.  With alcohol becoming scarce, the vinegar will be a lot easier to get and use.  good luck everyone!

I found that Sally's Beauty Salon has gallon jugs of ISO but it's slightly fragrented but it still works as normal and does not leave any strange issues after, it just smells like cheap perfume. 

I know these are hard times. If you have Walgreens or CVS. Kroger maybe even Safeway. Call in advance. Let them know what you do for a living. They will save it for you and give it to you. Grainger has isopropyl in 1 gallon.

I used to order a 55-gallon drum of 99.9 isopropyl. Can not do that where I work now. They want everything to be negative charged and safe. Slackers beware! I got two gallons left of my own personal.

Edited by TINTZEUS

It's getting flipping crazy. Try your local gas stations convenience stores. Anywhere. Isopropyl alcohol is in huge demand right now. Granger is backordered until August

Guest GUEST

what about denatured alcohol from the hardware store? home depot here is fully stocked with it