Pricing

Hey guys I need a quick hand on how to price a residential Job is it by sq. Foot or by window  and a price range for labor. For many years I have only done Automotive.  But on this I have no Idea . All your  help is much appreciated. 

Thanks 

I do square foot, based on film used not glass size, minimum price per with discounts as the square foot goes up tiers, additional cost for ladders, really small windows, and hard to reach.

Also a minimum to "unload" cost....

I take the square foot of the window and add a few inches per side to account for wasted film. Then I have a set per square foot rate for Reflective/Dual Reflective films and the rate increases for more expensive films. Then add on charges if a ladder is required, any equipment rentals are needed, and a driving charge that increases with distance. If the windows are french pane or more difficult than regular windows, the rate increases. I also have a minimum charge depending on the distance. So say someone wants just a door tinted but is 15 miles away, it is an automatic $500 charge. We only do 1-2 flat glass jobs a month since we are pretty expensive which works for me since it is a headache and we stay busy with automotive all year.

Edited by DynamicATL

The tinters I have met and worked with over the years that own their own business, the ones that do both auto and flat glass wish they only did flat because of the HUGE profit margins. The ones that only did automotive look at it as a PITA.  I enjoy both but sometimes you hit them jobs were the wooden window frames are dry rotted and it feels like your on your fifth el camino for the day, but your only half way done. Makes you question your life choices.