Heat shrink

Guest Timothy Trulock

Guest Timothy Trulock

I have been tinting for years.  But I'm just now really trying to get more in the business. My question is, even though I have watched numerous you tube videos on heat shrinking the back glass I still can't get the technique. I've tried it with the dryer sheets I've tried it wet but always ends up the same, a mess. Im tired of doing these back glasses in pieces. Is there some tip or some where I can go to get some help with this issue? 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:52 PM, Guest Timothy Trulock said:

I have been tinting for years.  But I'm just now really trying to get more in the business. My question is, even though I have watched numerous you tube videos on heat shrinking the back glass I still can't get the technique. I've tried it with the dryer sheets I've tried it wet but always ends up the same, a mess. Im tired of doing these back glasses in pieces. Is there some tip or some where I can go to get some help with this issue? 

Best for a novice to use baby powder for shrinking. One thing i've noticed with people new to shrinking and using dryer sheets is they go too heavy and don't let it fully dry. I'd suggest wetting the dryer sheet with alcohol instead of water so it'll dry quicker and fully after wiping it on glass, with a thin coat on the glass, not wet solid caked up dryer sheet j1zz.

When you are learning to shrink and get a crease or burn on the first corner when you just start shrinking still complete the rest of the shrinking so you can use that piece for practice, you gain a little confidence practicing on a piece that you're not worrying about destroying. Good luck!

Edited by Tint Slayer

Looking back I should of just got a few 100 ft rolls and just shrunk a bunch on a bg with average difficulty. Some key points to shrinking correctly are angle/distance of heat gun, how long you stay in each area and then shrinking toward the factory edge, especially in the corners. Also, need to anchor film not to high or low. Some bgs you may go a little higher or lower than center. I use my hand to hold the film for side anchor. I start shrinking in the corner for a couple seconds ‘then’ I pull film to anchor it as I shrink. If you anchor before your’re just pulling all the slack into one big pocket to shrink. I only do this on more difficult ones. 

this question will be useful for OP as well. What is the best way to apply film and shrink on hatchbacks? ive been having issues lately with vw GTis and maz 3 hatchbacks. Im shrinking normally as I would on other cars but for some reason hatches are my weakness. I do the normal H pattern using dryer sheets. The ends of the windows and defrost lines just wont tack up!

8 hours ago, bpbv6-6 said:

this question will be useful for OP as well. What is the best way to apply film and shrink on hatchbacks? ive been having issues lately with vw GTis and maz 3 hatchbacks. Im shrinking normally as I would on other cars but for some reason hatches are my weakness. I do the normal H pattern using dryer sheets. The ends of the windows and defrost lines just wont tack up!

Are you saying it won't stick to the glass after install?

On 6/4/2020 at 6:33 AM, Tint Slayer said:

Are you saying it won't stick to the glass after install?

just the sides most of the time even though the film is fully shrunk, theres certain peanuts that appear. When I heat shrink with dryer sheets, I tack own the film in a H pattern. Any suggestions? not sure what causes this. Only happens on hatches for me and its getting really irritating.