Tinting advice

I’ve tried tinting twice and completely failed both times. I’m trying to install tint to the front windows of my 2016 Honda CR-V. This last time I attempted I used precut solar gard tint and Came into some issues. I used a water/dawn dish soap mixture and thought I added enough soap. While applying the adhesive side to the window it would immediately stick. The time before I was able to slide my tint into position before tacking it down but not this time. This made it really hard to line everything up. Once I got the top lined up I started to move down the window and creases were started popping up everywhere. I tried pushing them out but they just folded and at that point I was screwed. I tried experimenting with some of the others with the heat gun hoping I could shrink em out but they did the same and folded. Was this a solution mixture issue? Not being able to slide the tint into place? What could I do to prevent this next time? Any other tips or tricks would be much appreciated! 

Temperature makes a big difference.  Far too many things could contribute.  

If it isn't sliding pull it back and try more of your slip mixture.  I keep a heavy mix bottle for such times.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, Jake09 said:

I’ve tried tinting twice and completely failed both times. I’m trying to install tint to the front windows of my 2016 Honda CR-V. This last time I attempted I used precut solar gard tint and Came into some issues. I used a water/dawn dish soap mixture and thought I added enough soap. While applying the adhesive side to the window it would immediately stick. The time before I was able to slide my tint into position before tacking it down but not this time. This made it really hard to line everything up. Once I got the top lined up I started to move down the window and creases were started popping up everywhere. I tried pushing them out but they just folded and at that point I was screwed. I tried experimenting with some of the others with the heat gun hoping I could shrink em out but they did the same and folded. Was this a solution mixture issue? Not being able to slide the tint into place? What could I do to prevent this next time? Any other tips or tricks would be much appreciated! 

You may just need more slip, for your slip use 10 mls per liter (or quart) of Dawn Simple Clean (the most basic weakest Dawn product, avoid stronger Dawn liquids you just need slip), the range i use is 8-12mls per liter depending on weather, the film and the need. right before you install soak the glass and soak the sticky side of film both times with a downward spraying motion, try to put the film on lightly and try not to stick all the film firmly on glass at once, put a corner of the film on glass and try to align or get as close to final position as possible before putting all the film on the glass still putting it on lightly until final position so you can start squeegeeing. The film should now be in the final position with a bunch of slip visible under it. Now with your thumb holding the top and run the squeegee along the top of film anchoring the top, do a light stroke down the middle and then light strokes outward and downward (remember where those fingers were, you want the film to pull wide to flatten them out, think about these things when doing your light set up squeegee and final hard liquid removal) and watch if the film has waves bump up when you're pushing it, stay behind the wave pushing it slowly and if needed pull in front of it with your finger to flatten it as you go and go slow to push the wave to shore (the rubber). now that the film is mostly in place you can spray it lightly with slip again and push that water out. Don't try to be the fast swiping guy with the squeegee just yet until you get a feel for what the squeegee can do other than fast swipes, do another final hard squeegee, heat the top of film lightly and briefly to dry it so you can close window. The bottom area spray slip and squeegee in direction of any small fingers (going perpendicular to them can give you creases). I know i went on a bit and i'm sure i said something wrong by someones standards but that's my 2 cents and let us know how it go, send some pics good or bad, the bad tells us more. Good Luck bro!

-If you start to tack up and cant move the film easily you can either full palm slap the film lightly in the direction you're going to break the tack towards OR pull the top of the film back enough to spray slip in there and with your finger tips push and massage all that slip down and into the tacked area until the film floats on slip again, readjust film.

-Tinting is not simple, cutting and all that is easy, getting a clean good looking job involves personal skill with pride in your work and that relates to how much you as a person want a job to look. The trick is go slow as you need and let yourself improve rather than try to be a 10 min side glass installer at the gate. My best work is the work i take the time to do right.

Edited by Tint Slayer

3 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

You may just need more slip, for your slip use 10 mls per liter (or quart) of Dawn Simple Clean (the most basic weakest Dawn product, avoid stronger Dawn liquids you just need slip), the range i use is 8-12mls per liter depending on weather, the film and the need. right before you install soak the glass and soak the sticky side of film both times with a downward spraying motion, try to put the film on lightly and try not to stick all the film firmly on glass at once, put a corner of the film on glass and try to align or get as close to final position as possible before putting all the film on the glass still putting it on lightly until final position so you can start squeegeeing. The film should now be in the final position with a bunch of slip visible under it. Now with your thumb holding the top and run the squeegee along the top of film anchoring the top, do a light stroke down the middle and then light strokes outward and downward (remember where those fingers were, you want the film to pull wide to flatten them out, think about these things when doing your light set up squeegee and final hard liquid removal) and watch if the film has waves bump up when you're pushing it, stay behind the wave pushing it slowly and if needed pull in front of it with your finger to flatten it as you go and go slow to push the wave to shore (the rubber). now that the film is mostly in place you can spray it lightly with slip again and push that water out. Don't try to be the fast swiping guy with the squeegee just yet until you get a feel for what the squeegee can do other than fast swipes, do another final hard squeegee, heat the top of film lightly and briefly to dry it so you can close window. The bottom area spray slip and squeegee in direction of any small fingers (going perpendicular to them can give you creases). I know i went on a bit and i'm sure i said something wrong by someones standards but that's my 2 cents and let us know how it go, send some pics good or bad, the bad tells us more. Good Luck bro!

-If you start to tack up and cant move the film easily you can either full palm slap the film lightly in the direction you're going to break the tack towards OR pull the top of the film back enough to spray slip in there and with your finger tips push and massage all that slip down and into the tacked area until the film floats on slip again, readjust film.

-Tinting is not simple, cutting and all that is easy, getting a clean good looking job involves personal skill with pride in your work and that relates to how much you as a person want a job to look. The trick is go slow as you need and let yourself improve rather than try to be a 10 min side glass installer at the gate. My best work is the work i take the time to do right.

Thanks man I really appreciate all the info!!! That really helps a lot. I have some more film on the way and will post again if I have any issues or if it goes well. I have to keep in mind to slow down and take my time with everything. Even during my set up. Thanks again!!