Perfect tint job with no dirt dots

been tinting for 30 years-never did a perfect car yet.

you can find a flaw in every window if you want to get down and dirty and look for it

if anyone says they can do a full car perfect, another tinter will find a flaw in it.  it's the nature of the business.  there is dust in the air all around us and that gets picked up before you can peel and set it in place.

can't be done and i'm not a betting man, but i'll put money on that all day long.  it's a no brainer.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:13 PM, TintDude said:

Give their money back and send them on their way, then hope they don't blame you for everything they find wrong with the car for the next year.

DO NOT GIVE MONEY BACK FOR A JOB DONE CORRECTLY!  NEVER!

you tell them to go get the tint done perfectly somewhere else.  if they bring it back and YOU can't find a flaw, then give them the full price for the tint and the removal fee from the other shop.  i guarantee you will not be paying any money out of pocket.

This is why talking to the customer is very important. The more they talk the more information you can gather from them. This lets you weed out the bad customers. A vibe check. Ill say no to alot of customer and set the proper expectations. Those customers that want it perfect usually have entry level luxury vehicles.  I’ve tinted alot of cars in 15 years and no car is perfect. Once in awhile maybe one window is perfect. I spend alot of my installation time finding the imperfections and heating it out before a customer can even lay eyes on it. This will solve many issues because once they see something they can unsee it. 

9 hours ago, TintDude said:

I see your point, I just tend to try to cut my losses when dealing with unreasonable people. :)

i can see your point also and i understand it.

this is the problem with our business:  we are specialty and custom work but we do not get the respect because our work is not expensive enough.  let me explain the way i look at it.

let's say i get a new civic sedan in and i charge $300.00 for it and it takes 1.5 hrs.  guy is unhappy because he finds a few dots and can't be reasoned with.  i remove it, risk damaging defroster, spend more time than the application in removal, and give his money back. and i never did anything wrong-he's just an asshat and can't be satisfied. and i'm done and out all my money and time.

down the road, jimmy's body shop does a paint job for $3500 and the same guy is unreasonable with him.  what does he do?  give back $3500 and remove the paint????  no.  he tries to explain and then eventually tells the guy to go screw.

we are not treated with respect because when it comes down to it, all we do is put big stickers on windows

It's amazing how the "real customers" with the high end, expensive vehicles don't get that picky about a speck or two.  It's always the "wanna be's" that wish they could have afforded the higher end ride but settled for what they got and now they think it's "all that" and want it to be perfect.  :facepalm   Those are the ones that bring a magnifying glass to the delivery of the vehicle. 

I pulled a kid away from his truck because he was trying to get me to check out this spot on his rear window (20% over factory 20 mind you) that you had to look at it with your head at an angle with just the right light showing to see the quote "spots".  I made him step back about two feet and show me where the spot was.  He said " you can't see it from here, you have to look like this at it" :nono  You just made my point sir.  Look THROUGH THE TINT, not at it.  

These customers will always exist and usually have a predetermined mindset for acting that way to begin with.  You just have to learn to deal with them because they were going to act that way even if it was perfect. If you are letting crap work out the door, well that's your own fault.  :twocents 

Edited by Bham

3 hours ago, jconnors said:

i can see your point also and i understand it.

this is the problem with our business:  we are specialty and custom work but we do not get the respect because our work is not expensive enough.  let me explain the way i look at it.

let's say i get a new civic sedan in and i charge $300.00 for it and it takes 1.5 hrs.  guy is unhappy because he finds a few dots and can't be reasoned with.  i remove it, risk damaging defroster, spend more time than the application in removal, and give his money back. and i never did anything wrong-he's just an asshat and can't be satisfied. and i'm done and out all my money and time.

down the road, jimmy's body shop does a paint job for $3500 and the same guy is unreasonable with him.  what does he do?  give back $3500 and remove the paint????  no.  he tries to explain and then eventually tells the guy to go screw.

we are not treated with respect because when it comes down to it, all we do is put big stickers on windows

Dont look at it from that point of view. If you have to remove and refund the customer you came out on top because you basically just paid to never see that customer again. Thats worth it in my opinion. If you’re doing good work dont take it personally. Ive been in this industry for a long time and no longer feel any type of way when a customer goes to a cheaper shop. I see cheaper shops as a necessary part of the food chain. Certain customer deserve to get their cars worked on by them. Use your experience and vibe checks to best filter these guys out. I cant stress this enough if you run your own shop have over 6 months Cash reserved. This puts you in a situation where you dont have to take every job. If possible have multiple streams of income. 🍻 

On 6/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, jconnors said:

DO NOT GIVE MONEY BACK FOR A JOB DONE CORRECTLY!  NEVER!

you tell them to go get the tint done perfectly somewhere else.  if they bring it back and YOU can't find a flaw, then give them the full price for the tint and the removal fee from the other shop.  i guarantee you will not be paying any money out of pocket.

But what about the reviews in Google, etc.? 

Edited by pitbox.us

On 11/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, pitbox.us said:

But what about the reviews in Google, etc.? 

if you are doing great work, all our great reviews will make up for 1 bad review.  now if you got a lot of bad reviews-then you are doing something wrong.