Noob getting discouraged

I just started tinting about a year ago. Im doing family, friends and small customer base and have done them ALL for free as Im not confident in my skills to charge. I have all my tools and I use Global, Solar FX, and Express Films classic black for the free jobs. I can shrink, install with no bubbles or fingers. 

Debris is another thing I struggle with. Sometimes its a month later and all these bubbles and debris mounds pop up. I clean and clean and clean. Not sure what Im doing wrong here. I use tint slime and distilled water. 

I struggle with my hand cutting side roll down windows and also debris. Every time I mess a job up I get super discouraged and get down on myself. How many professionals here started out like this that at one point thought you couldnt do it and should stop trying. To them become a professional with your own shop?

On 7/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, csixer66 said:

I just started tinting about a year ago. Im doing family, friends and small customer base and have done them ALL for free as Im not confident in my skills to charge. I have all my tools and I use Global, Solar FX, and Express Films classic black for the free jobs. I can shrink, install with no bubbles or fingers. 

Debris is another thing I struggle with. Sometimes its a month later and all these bubbles and debris mounds pop up. I clean and clean and clean. Not sure what Im doing wrong here. I use tint slime and distilled water. 

I struggle with my hand cutting side roll down windows and also debris. Every time I mess a job up I get super discouraged and get down on myself. How many professionals here started out like this that at one point thought you couldnt do it and should stop trying. To them become a professional with your own shop?

starting out is going to do this to you. When I started out my business I was really really afraid as I had no type of guidance from anyone. Its a great thing you're learning all these mistakes while providing the jobs for free because you're going to learn alot. It'll def mentally tear you down but try again and again until you figure it out. 

I went through the exact same issues as you and recently after about 8 months figured out what works best for me. I was using scrub pads but that didn't work. I went back to using a razor to scrape because it can easily get into the rubber seals and scrape away the contamination. Spray down the windows a couple times after scraping, wipe the outside rims of the rubber seals and along the top of the plastic door moldings. Back window use a scrubby pad or steel wool 000 or 0000, never razor as it removes the defrost lines...try that out and youll have clean installs. Trust me I had a few redos and finally decided to change my methods a little bit and its worked out well. Business is busy after close to a year but I didnt really market myself until after 5 months. Also, just stick with johnston's baby shampoo and water. I stopped using slip solutions. It'll save you money.

I use a blue max, go over the film twice, then wrap the black hard card with blue paper towel for one last pass. Thats what I learned from madico trainer.

Edited by bpbv6-6

On 7/15/2020 at 2:28 AM, bpbv6-6 said:

starting out is going to do this to you. When I started out my business I was really really afraid as I had no type of guidance from anyone. Its a great thing you're learning all these mistakes while providing the jobs for free because you're going to learn alot. It'll def mentally tear you down but try again and again until you figure it out. 

I went through the exact same issues as you and recently after about 8 months figured out what works best for me. I was using scrub pads but that didn't work. I went back to using a razor to scrape because it can easily get into the rubber seals and scrape away the contamination. Spray down the windows a couple times after scraping, wipe the outside rims of the rubber seals and along the top of the plastic door moldings. Back window use a scrubby pad or steel wool 000 or 0000, never razor as it removes the defrost lines...try that out and youll have clean installs. Trust me I had a few redos and finally decided to change my methods a little bit and its worked out well. Business is busy after close to a year but I didnt really market myself until after 5 months. Also, just stick with johnston's baby shampoo and water. I stopped using slip solutions. It'll save you money.

I use a blue max, go over the film twice, then wrap the black hard card with blue paper towel for one last pass. Thats what I learned from madico trainer.

Thank you for the inspiration. It def will defeat you if you let it. Another issue Im having is when I cut and tear. It leave a hole where my cut ends and I tear the film. I always tear away but I can't seem to figure out whyScreenshot_20200712-122228_Messages.jpg.2998b747b915345ab56a3bddb48b74f4.jpg

As for your hand cutting, are you cutting one side then sliding it over about a 1/4" before cutting the other side?  This will help he any small imperfections in your cuts and keep from having light gaps.

As far as contamination,  Remember cause and effect... everything you do should have purpose.  Pay attention to everything.  Yes, not extracting enough water can be a problem.  So can allowing the water from your sprayer to hit the upper seal and dripping water down onto the window.  Do you clean your seals and tape off felt?  Do you touch up before it leaves?  A heat gun and lil chizler can do miracles.  Do you use a peel board or work off the car?  You can wash dirt after pulling the liner and wetting the film.  Do you let dirt get on the tip of your sprayer? Do you have a fan blowing?  Do you wash down your floors?   There are so many things that cause contamination.  Paying attention to the car before it leaves and remembering each car you work on helps to identify where your issues may come from.  I try not to use razors at all unless there is glue residue.   i use white scrub pads.  I fry the edges with a heat gun after I cut it into smaller pieces.  I throw them away if they look frayed.  1/8 of a scrubby is a lot cheaper that redoing a window. 

Do you bottom load or top load?  Bottom loading is usually cleaner but I hate pulling door panels. 

BTW,  when I train someone new it may take a year before they are ready to meet my standards for tinting a car on their own.  Sounds like you are doing pretty good.  Don't get discouraged.  Becoming a quality tinter takes time and patience.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, MastersTint1414 said:

BTW,  when I train someone new it may take a year before they are ready to meet my standards for tinting a car on their own.  Sounds like you are doing pretty good.  Don't get discouraged.  Becoming a quality tinter takes time and patience.

with the guys i have trained in the past, i felt it took 2 years to really get it down-and that is with direction.  not that you couldn't tint a window sooner-i just felt that it took that long to really be confident and adept at tinting a full car with no trouble.  i have to add that i take things really slow when training.

so don't give up.  and remember, you can make money and not be perfect.  turn some jobs out.  do the best you can. and then fix your mistakes if they get noticed.  when you fix your mistakes and you are not getting paid for your time, you learn quick.

a young carpenter's work is not as good as a seasoned contractor, but he can still make money and learn.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I read and read and read and watch videos over and over again. I am getting better. I have switched to a peel board and did do a lincoln suv absolutly flawless. First time for that and best job I ever did. Did have to chizel out a few specs but i was proud of that one. 

Ive learned to clean less. That has helped with debris as I think I kept flushing it out more than cleaning just were the film contacts. I practice with a roll of metalized film I have and am getting faster. I still struggle on some cars still. But I still feel some in person instruction would help me greatly. Answer some of my questions. Like: How to keep film from creasing and bunching up on front edge when the mirror is super tight to the edge.

Why I get jagged cuts in a certain scenario. 

Why even with a ton of slip in my solition does the film want to stick and not move. 

Things like this I cant learn from a video.

Do you guys think I wouod benefit from Stans video set?