Window cutting question

Im a noob as youve seen from my other posts. I watch videos alot just to constantly keep steps in my head and to see how others styles work. 

I have a question. When cutting side windows. When you make your side cut then slide over 1/8-1/4 inch to then make your second cut. Some leave it slid over and cut the top. Makes sense to me you would center film up before making the top cut Correct? If not, wouldnt thay throw off your edge if you center it up after you cut the top. 

This has been bothering me as Ive seen many do it both ways. No tinter around me will let me pay for training so self teaching I guess. 

Thank you for any info

I mark front and back with a sharpie and don't lift the film until done cutting the top.  Can shift the window when you roll it down the little bit and may it wider where needed.  Then cut the film slightly larger than the mark or as needed.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, csixer66 said:

Im a noob as youve seen from my other posts. I watch videos alot just to constantly keep steps in my head and to see how others styles work. 

I have a question. When cutting side windows. When you make your side cut then slide over 1/8-1/4 inch to then make your second cut. Some leave it slid over and cut the top. Makes sense to me you would center film up before making the top cut Correct? If not, wouldnt thay throw off your edge if you center it up after you cut the top. 

This has been bothering me as Ive seen many do it both ways. No tinter around me will let me pay for training so self teaching I guess. 

Thank you for any info

Centering ... YES.

Edit: I cut one side edge, slide over twice the amount needed to distribute on the sides, cut opposite side, then center before cutting the top edge.

Edited by Tintguy1980

I cut the long side, slide it back, tack the film down, mark the front with my blade retracted (you can use a dry erase marker or similar) then roll the window down to make my cut.  Then I place the film on a wall glass to round my corners and the short side (or front) of the window going over a bit from my mark to eliminate any light when installed. This way I don't offset my cut in the top.