Is this 3M Crystalline film fake? Report to 3M?

Hi All,

I thought I would join ya'lls forums and ask a question. I have a strong suspicion the 3M 70 crystalline tint I had put on yesterday by a certified installer is fake (sourced from EBAY). Please see the 50 second mark of the Youtube below. I want to get a little more confidence before I report it to 3M.  

Here is why: I can feel the infrared from the windows. The car has a slight blue hue whereas real crystalline is said to have a brown/bronze hue.

Here is a high-detail photo of the watermark (2 were left on the car). As you'll see, it matches the mark in the fake film.  

IMG_0549.JPG.70092ef60658541a9d4cf16be5e755e8.JPG

19 hours ago, AndrewP said:

Here is why: I can feel the infrared from the windows. The car has a slight blue hue whereas real crystalline is said to have a brown/bronze hue.

My experience with Crystalline has the 70 & 90 appearing bluish like the photo provided and the darker ones (20 & 40) are earth tone brownish.

3M logo is printed on the film surface and can be removed with isopropyl alcohol without issue.

Edit: This is where it gets complicated.

As to feeling the near infrared radiation (NIR), well, you will because though Crystalline is very effective in reflecting NIR between 780nm (nanometers) and 1350nm, the NIR spectrum goes on out to 2400-2500nm. They report 97% rejection at 950nm, which is one of the least intense wavelengths throughout the NIR spectrum (there are four regions of less intensity compared to the entire NIR spectrum). That's marketing for you. Some of the most intense wavelengths (visible as spikes on an electromagnetic radiation chart) can be found in the range stated above (780-1350), though.

What you are feeling is the remaining energy that the film is not as effective at rejecting. And, overall or cumulative NIR rejection for the intense range, 780-1350nm, is measured in and around 88%.

Also, NIR is not 'felt' whereby, far infrared is. Explained: Far infrared IS heat produced when NIR, ultraviolet and visible light energy strikes and is absorbed by a material (such as your body tissue) and then converts to far infrared (heat), sensed by nearby nerve endings.

Relax, you have Crystalline. Now. if you were to pursue fraud/bait and switch case through 3M, you will likely have to send a sample of the film in for structural dissection. This means the film would have to be removed. There is no other means of determining authenticity.

I have Crystalline 40 on my front driver and passenger side windows (it is earth tone inside looking out). 5 years and no discoloring and no adhesive distortion. IMO, all the horror stories out there were the first generation; 3M improved the product since inception.

Edited by Tintguy1980

A couple things still make me doubt. I was told by another tinter (without provocation) that this particular tinter would do a fake (non 3M) windshield job. I went with him anyway because this guy was $250 cheaper.  I also didn't get a warranty card which I have read you are suppose to get with the install..

Well, it's your prerogative and your wallet involved. Take it as far as you can afford, if you wish.

In all the years I spent installing film for the public I quit counting the accusations spewed by my competitors.

If sourced from Ebay, it's quite possible the installer in question was any of the following outside the scope of your statement: 1) He's not a 3M dealer, 2) but bought the piece-meal film from someone who is via Ebay, to which it would not carry a warranty; only 3M dealers can install and issue a warranty, or 3) he didn't want to or couldn't buy a full roll of that product to do one windscreen. Each roll has an ID number that is to appear on the warranty.

The other factor might be expecting a 70% film to work miracles against the sun's energy.

Good luck with this.

2 hours ago, Tintguy1980 said:

Well, it's your prerogative and your wallet involved. Take it as far as you can afford, if you wish.

In all the years I spent installing film for the public I quit counting the accusations spewed by my competitors.

If sourced from Ebay, it's quite possible the installer in question was any of the following outside the scope of your statement: 1) He's not a 3M dealer, 2) but bought the piece-meal film from someone who is via Ebay, to which it would not carry a warranty; only 3M dealers can install and issue a warranty, or 3) he didn't want to or couldn't buy a full roll of that product to do one windscreen. Each roll has an ID number that is to appear on the warranty.

The other factor might be expecting a 70% film to work miracles against the sun's energy.

Good luck with this.

Okay, I can't tell from your statement if you are or have been a certified crystalline installer before. If you have does this logo appear the same as that show in the photo and at the 50 second mark? 

I see a big profit margin in this. I know the film is very expensive. I wouldn't put it past someone to buy it off of eBay and install it without registering anything with 3M. Most people would be no wiser to know if what they have is fake. 

Guest Dryshrinker.

If the guy installing it didn’t get his Ass kicked while doing so then he had experience with crystalline. The bronze hue is only on the 40 and 20. The water marks look legit by so does a bootleg Rolex. And who exactly are you going to complain to? 3M legal won’t waste their time with this as much as you want them to it won’t happen. The IR is measured at 1100nm not 950.