Boat window - Film won't stick to one window!

So I had a boat last week. A Crownline 18SS. We took it all apart to get a good clean install since the boat was in really good shape and it had never been apart. We tinted the side triangles with no issues since they were flat and the pass through as it was the same. The two curved windows are were the problem came in. We got the passenger side done with just a minor issue which we solved pretty quick but the drivers side window has been completely different. The film won't stick to the glass. I know this sounds crazy but here's what we've tried. It's been hot and humid so we've had a lot of slip in our solutions lately but we tried with a little less, no change. We tried with no slip and it still wouldn't stick. I even tried a alcohol water solution and that didn't even make the film stick. I even went as far as just straight up film with no slip to the glass and it still wouldn't stick. I was so bad that I put a piece on there, let it sit for over 20 minutes till the customer showed up and showed him that it could be moved and taken off with no residue. We use Global QDP on everything and I've never had this happen.

I've never seen this before, ever!

So I'm asking my fellow tinters. What's your thoughts on this?

I did clean the glass with straight alcohol, heated it from both sides, steel wooled it and tried a torch to see if there was something on the glass. Nothing worked. It's safety glass for those that wanted to know and I'm able to shrink the film to fit. It's the only window that isn't done on the boat as the other curved window did not have this issue.

Let me know your thoughts, comments, solutions etc.

Pic below of passenger side. Drivers side is the same.

Thanks!

BoatnIMG_4796.jpg

Edited by Ridler

Is that one piece of glass different than all the others?  

This sounds like a tension issue.  I assume you are trimming to the rubber?  When you tried to make it work,  did you make sure the film was not touching any rubber at all.  In other words, leave a light gap ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE BOTTOM of the window. Sometimes if any of the film is touching any of the rubber at all it will cause it to release because of the negative tension you putting on the film. If it will stay trying it this way you will have to live with the light gap.  

Next option is (now bear with me on this one) :heh  Lay it out and where it is not sticking in the curve, cut it vertically so when you install it, it will overlap in the curve.  Again, if it stays this way, then it is your install method and you will have to figure out a way to put more shrink into it to get rid of the negative tension of the film naturally wanting to pull off the glass. 

It's the same with the 2000 year model Camaro's and Firebird's on the rear glass. The black frit would cause issues sometimes and release the film tension. 

Also recommended sticking with a quick tacking slip solution like you were doing.  

BTW = I HATE :mad  doing boats like that and turn them down now.  :nope  

Bham, thanks for the reply. I have the glass out of the boat so the trimming happens after we have the film laid down. So I don't think that's my issue.

I should also point out that it's not just the curve were it's not sticking, it's also the flat part of the window as well.

5 minutes ago, Ridler said:

Bham, thanks for the reply. I have the glass out of the boat so the trimming happens after we have the film laid down. So I don't think that's my issue.

I should also point out that it's not just the curve were it's not sticking, it's also the flat part of the window as well.

That's crazy.  If all the other ones worked and this one didn't --------- I just don't know man.  :hmmm   

Might Try getting some of that glass renew stuff that Dragon is selling.  Supposedly takes any and all coating off the glass and makes it a new surface.  :dunno  

So just a quick update on this one. 

We got it done. While we did try all the methods, the trick was to just keep heating the curve from the outside and slowly working the film down until it stuck. PITA!

Maybe no more boats for us for awhile.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg