Rubber trimming and 3M logo on film

1 hour ago, civicrice said:

you came in for a tint job and was shook that your seals be cut up. I get it. we as tinters do that to avoid a slither of a light gap that would be noticeably present if it wasn't for this technique.  Not going to lie some noobs can butcher them sometimes. as for the 3m logos i can bet anything that if you went back and asked for them on the windows that don't have they will gladly do that for you.  

Thank you for your feedback. I've learned this was most likely an inevitable consequence in order to get the window tinted.

I stand by my earlier comments that my tinter did a great job. I understand that this is a tinters forum and I am just a customer who knows nothing about tinting so I appreciate your civility. That said, please understand that there are a lot of car owners including myself who would rather forego the tint or go to other tinters if they had been informed about this technique beforehand. This is why I asked my tinter not to remove or pop the door panels even though he said it's what he does all the time.

Thanks again.

J

Edited by CuriousTinter

4 hours ago, CuriousTinter said:

Thank you for your feedback. I've learned this was most likely an inevitable consequence in order to get the window tinted.

I stand by my earlier comments that my tinter did a great job. I understand that this is a tinters forum and I am just a customer who knows nothing about tinting so I appreciate your civility. That said, please understand that there are a lot of car owners including myself who would rather forego the tint or go to other tinters if they had been informed about this technique beforehand. This is why I asked my tinter not to remove or pop the door panels even though he said it's what he does all the time.

Thanks again.

J

That's great! there are two popular methods for applying film. one where the installer bottom loads (requires panel removal) and top loading (no removal). Removing the panel almost always produces impeccable results.  shops that have a high quality standard will favor this method.  the top loading in my opinion will be close to perfect but will have flaws that only trained tinters will notice. flaws included contamination and little crease lines.  Personally I hate removing panels only because i feel like they never quite go on the same or have the same feel to them when you open and close the doors. I do like the good quality i get from removing panels though!

4 hours ago, CuriousTinter said:

And like I said you're a smart ass. I don't know if you've been tinting too many $5k cars so you just got used to not caring or respecting other people's property. Either way, start doing that to $100k plus cars in front of their owners AND keep up with that attitude of yours I promise you will be crucified some day.

Well, customers aren't allowed in the shop!  Very few "old" cars even come to me because I charge a higher price.

You are an overly concerned person that should trust the PROFESSIONAL to do the job right.  If you don't then you shouldn't be getting the work done.

I hope you wouldn't stop the mechanic from pulling something so that they could do their job right.....but then again you wouldn't be in the shop to see what they do!

1 hour ago, Ryker said:

Well, customers aren't allowed in the shop!  Very few "old" cars even come to me because I charge a higher price.

You are an overly concerned person that should trust the PROFESSIONAL to do the job right.  If you don't then you shouldn't be getting the work done.

I hope you wouldn't stop the mechanic from pulling something so that they could do their job right.....but then again you wouldn't be in the shop to see what they do!

Whether customers are allowed in the shop is not the issue because 1. I obviously had the shop's permission to stand there and film how the windows were tinted and 2. Your statement implies that since customers aren't allowed in the shop, they can't see anything so their cars can be butchered as long as they don't see it. 

I have multiple cars and yes, when it comes to a limited production $90k car that's bound to be a future classic, I should be overly concerned. What bothers me is that you dismiss my questions as stupid and continue to insist that this cutting/trimming the gasket the right technique when in fact, there are other professionals like yourself that don't engage this practice, which is not even recommended by 3M. Keep in mind that what works for you doesn't make it right if a customer objects to it.

J

Edited by CuriousTinter

That's great! there are two popular methods for applying film. one where the installer bottom loads (requires panel removal) and top loading (no removal). Removing the panel almost always produces impeccable results.  shops that have a high quality standard will favor this method.  the top loading in my opinion will be close to perfect but will have flaws that only trained tinters will notice. flaws included contamination and little crease lines.  Personally I hate removing panels only because i feel like they never quite go on the same or have the same feel to them when you open and close the doors. I do like the good quality i get from removing panels though!

Civicrice: Thank you again for your feedback. This is really good information for people like me to learn and grasp. Believe it or not there are people who will remove the windows from the car and bring them to a tint shop to minimize the risk of getting any scratches or blemishes.

I don't mean to disrespect anyone's professional expertise but I am still wondering if there's any downside if my tinter could have just used something like an old credit card to tuck the film under the gasket without cutting it? Or is there a downside to this approach as well?

J

5 minutes ago, CuriousTinter said:

Civicrice: Thank you again for your feedback. This is really good information for people like me to learn and grasp. Believe it or not there are people who will remove the windows from the car and bring them to a tint shop to minimize the risk of getting any scratches or blemishes.

I don't mean to disrespect anyone's professional expertise but I am still wondering if there's any downside if my tinter could have just used something like an old credit card to tuck the film under the gasket without cutting it? Or is there a downside to this approach as well?

J

its clean and mean when the installer takes that slither out.  bumpling the film on anything increases the chances for sucking in debris and making for bad quality.  Like I said before this process can be botched by a beginner.  Good thing is this is the only cutting of rubber seals that tinters do so for your next car you can ask them not to cut it.