Life as A Window Tinter.

What’s up guys. I’m currently in Tint school looking to finish up in the next week. And dive into the promotion and ownership as a automotive tint shop owner.

I have a shop already an learning mobile as well in a big city with a population of right at 1million.

my question is. Is window tinting as a career as good as the teachers are saying? With promoting like crazy being able to clear 100k yearly? Anyone else clear close or more then 100k as a business owner. Thanks 

gross or profit? 

you figure $300 a car  is $210 after you pay Biden his cut -$30 in material - $45 (roughly) for overhead= $135 net profit

you do 100 full cars a month on the good season (700 for 7months) and 300 cars on slow season (5 months worth of cars)= 1,000 cars a year 

$135 x 1,000 cars= $135,000 I didn't include insurances and based the shop rent at about $1,000 a month. 

totally doable for a 1 man op but the stress can be devastating. 

Edited by civicrice

11 hours ago, civicrice said:

gross or profit? 

you figure $300 a car  is $210 after you pay Biden his cut -$30 in material - $45 (roughly) for overhead= $135 net profit

you do 100 full cars a month on the good season (700 for 7months) and 300 cars on slow season (5 months worth of cars)= 1,000 cars a year 

$135 x 1,000 cars= $135,000 I didn't include insurances and based the shop rent at about $1,000 a month. 

totally doable for a 1 man op but the stress can be devastating. 

100 cars a month= 4 cars a day if your open 6 days a week. 3 hours per car = 12 hour days with no breaks as a single man operation, in other words not manageable if you are actually that busy. You would have to hire some people 

18 minutes ago, Golf983 said:

100 cars a month= 4 cars a day if your open 6 days a week. 3 hours per car = 12 hour days with no breaks as a single man operation, in other words not manageable if you are actually that busy. You would have to hire some people 

:yeah   This,,, this is what I am currently doing and it's about to kill me. :thud   :feelingold 

I would love to hire someone but training is so expensive on the backend and they usually leave after a year anyway.  

Finding an experienced tinter who is honest and not methed out and won't rob you blind is hard.  

The ones who are good are usually happy where they are and don't ever leave,,,,,

the ones that jump from shop to shop are tough to tell and you just hope you don't get one of those. 

edited to say that I only do 3 cars a day and some sets of doors every day.  4 cars is tough unless they are easy.   :tired 

Edited by Bham

2 hours ago, Bham said:

:yeah   This,,, this is what I am currently doing and it's about to kill me. :thud   :feelingold 

I would love to hire someone but training is so expensive on the backend and they usually leave after a year anyway.  

Finding an experienced tinter who is honest and not methed out and won't rob you blind is hard.  

The ones who are good are usually happy where they are and don't ever leave,,,,,

the ones that jump from shop to shop are tough to tell and you just hope you don't get one of those. 

edited to say that I only do 3 cars a day and some sets of doors every day.  4 cars is tough unless they are easy.   :tired 

I don’t own a shop but as single operation would have to schedule farther out I suppose. Maybe do 3 one day 2 the next day pattern.

16 minutes ago, Golf983 said:

I don’t own a shop but as single operation would have to schedule farther out I suppose. Maybe do 3 one day 2 the next day pattern.

My schedule stays at least a week or better out.  I know what's on each day so I do my best to make each day "even" as far as difficulty.  

Saturdays are always the easiest days.  Hopefully only trucks or super easy cars on Saturdays.  

Once you get a good rhythm down of how you want to schedule things, it gets easier as you go.  

Been 100% by myself for a long time and am doing well over 100K a year without killing myself.  :thumb  

On 12/3/2020 at 6:14 AM, Bham said:

I won't train someone for the fact that i have never worked at a shop that hasn't created their own competitors. I have worked along side meth heads though, fun times. 

On 12/3/2020 at 8:48 AM, Golf983 said:

I'm sorry but this is a forum for those in the industry, you came here originally for advice regarding a tint job for your car, then called us lazy, was asked to leave, now you're giving advice about running a shop?

I'm confused why you are here.

21 minutes ago, TintDude said:

I'm sorry but this is a forum for those in the industry, you came here originally for advice regarding a tint job for your car, then called us lazy, was asked to leave, now you're giving advice about running a shop?

I'm confused why you are here.

I didn’t realize this is a forum for only window tinters, I’m confused why there are so many posts from those asking about tinting their car if that’s the case. I’m into all things cars, thought his comment was interesting in regard to money made tinting cars. I came here wanting to read up on tint films that are available and what constitutes a good tint because I bought a sweet car that had limo tint all around and needed to switch it out.

In regard to lazy comment, I have come across many tinters in my area who basically whine about having to remove tint or anything that is more than just slapping some tint on an easy car for 400 bucks. I have however found some good tinters who take pride in their work and I’m not calling them lazy at all, in fact they have my business.

Ryker kept coming at me and said need to have thick skin around here, thought I was ok with my comment it that was the case.