scratches after window tinting?

20 minutes ago, TintDude said:

Definitely the tinter.

Sorry you had a bad experience, reflects poorly on the industry. :twocents

Sucks to be in this situation.  I am very OCD about my cars and this just sucks.  However, I am trying to read everything I can about glass polishing so hopefully I can make those deeper scratches less noticeable.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:26 PM, aquarian said:

Yes I did.  They denied everything.

I wish you would have posted the pics or had stated that the rear window had the same as the side windows at the beginning, hard too make an informed decision when not all of the information is provided, sorry to say that the tinter is at fault on this matter from what i can :eye.

57 minutes ago, MikeMN said:

I wish you would have posted the pics or had stated that the rear window had the same as the side windows at the beginning, hard too make an informed decision when not all of the information is provided, sorry to say that the tinter is at fault on this matter from what i can :eye.

Well, to be fair, the rear window does not have deep scratches like the side windows do.  There are only hairline scratches on the rear glass...

Definitely installer. I would say a complete, unconscious rush job.

Edge of front door, definitely from a rush file job. Obviously from the jagged edges up and around the top.

that rear window even has a fine cut line down the side where the blade cut off the film prior to laying and shrinking. Audi and VW are known for soft glass.

Maybe there was a lot of dust and debris settled on the film when he hard carded it for shrinking. I’ve seen a window or two over the years but never every window.

I hope they make it right for you. You shouldn’t have to polishanything. That is just bad workmanship.

That is definitely installer error. You can see where his tool went past the film when he was shrinking it, scratching the glass. I mean, what is this installer using to shrink the film? A metal puitty kniife?

I would NOT take no for an answer from this shop. That is what they have insurance for.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, aquarian said:

Here you go.  The same type of scratches on the rear glass, but no deep ones like the side windows.

IMG_4667(1).jpg

IMG_4668(1).jpg

IMG_4669(1).jpg

Is it time to hang up the pouch? I think i've seen it all at this point. From issues with water frying pricey electronics on door panel switches ( new range rovers), frying computers on rear decks (new Mercedes), and faulty brittle defroster lines (I've seen it on jeeps, chrysler, and Buick), the delicate U.V. coating on the newer Lexus and Toyotas, and now your telling me that plastic can scratch glass?! it seems like doing cars is starting to be a liability, regardless of safety measures.  To the OP, thanks for posting this. will keep an eye out for these Audis. 

On 1/29/2021 at 6:42 AM, drtint said:

Definitely installer. I would say a complete, unconscious rush job.

Edge of front door, definitely from a rush file job. Obviously from the jagged edges up and around the top.

that rear window even has a fine cut line down the side where the blade cut off the film prior to laying and shrinking. Audi and VW are known for soft glass.

Maybe there was a lot of dust and debris settled on the film when he hard carded it for shrinking. I’ve seen a window or two over the years but never every window.

I hope they make it right for you. You shouldn’t have to polishanything. That is just bad workmanship.

I have been telling everyone the same.  The scratches are from the tinter, but the shop is denying everything.  There is really nothing else I can do except try to polish out the scratches myself.

What's even more interesting is that the same tinter tinted my wife's Q7's front windows 4 years ago.  I don't inspect my wife's Q7 like I do for my own cars so I decided to bring out my inspection light and holy crap, I see the same scratches.  The back passenger windows have ZERO scratches because they were never tinted.  I emailed the owner about this and asked to see the tinter's other prior jobs but never got a reply.

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4672(1).jpg

They know they did it. They had a chance to make it right and denied it. I'm sure you aren't the first to complain if it's been going on at least 4 years. 

I'd get a couple of estimates to replace the glass, just to know how much they need to pay and send them a bill.