scratches after window tinting?

On 1/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, TintDude said:

They know they did it. They had a chance to make it right and denied it. I'm sure you aren't the first to complain if it's been going on at least 4 years. 

I'd get a couple of estimates to replace the glass, just to know how much they need to pay and send them a bill.

I most likely won't go with that route, even though everyone knows that the shop is responsible.  I really don't want to replace glass on a brand new car which might potentially cause more problems like rattles or other scratches on other parts of the doors.  I just want the shop to acknowledge their mistake and apologize for it, that's all.....

Edited by aquarian

Well it’s been a while since I’ve been on here an I only read through the first an second page but from what I’m gathering you have a brand new car, dirty tint tools an scratched windows... I can personally say the windows I tint are 95% brand new cars with 50 miles or less on the most coming off the trailer an to my house. The glass they put in these new cars ALL across the board of vehicle make is cheap, I myself have scratched glass with a plastic gator blade. From your pictures it’s clear as day he heat shrunk it on the outside with a crappy 50 year old hard card, no matter what the card was it gets old an nicks in it, that’s 125% install scratch, an a coward to deny it

I got this photo from the tinter's facebook page.  The guy in the photo is the one who tinted my Audi.  Look at where he places the film on the glass, which shows how my scratches were created.  When I bought the car back for him to see, he blatantly lied that he places the film 2" above the seal, instead of 1" that he does. 

2 hours ago, Jerry Hernandez said:

If its an A8, definitely your sweeps. Roll your windows all the way down, pull back the sweep that touches the inside of the glass, if you don't see felt, that's the problem.  You need to take your car to get the felt added on.

scratches were on the outside

After seeing the back glass pic, I just thought of a probability since it happened to me back about 20-25 years ago, I did the same scratches on a rear window, (luckily it was on an old car and for the glass shop so they discounted the glass for the customer).  The reason it got scratched was that I was Tinting too close to the door and a gust of wind blew dirt on to the glass.  I ignored the sand and kept shrinking.  It wasn't till I was done that I realized the sand scratched the glass when I was hard carding the film.  The tinter might not be cleaning the windows on the outside properly before starting the job and it's the dirt, not the hard card scratching.