2008 beetle back glass shrinking

Smittylube

I’m a rookie and have been doing random tint on my cars over the years. I bought a roll of Avery @ 35% to learn more.

I was marginally successful on a sprinter front doors and fixed vent glass. Better success on an e30 Bmw sides. I have not attempted that back glass yet.

None of these really requires shrinking.

I guess if I can do this one all the others will be easy.

I tried a couple of attempts already using the bar soap rub to start. Attached using the H pattern.

Is it more of a stretch the middle than shrink the top and bottom?

If you could share what helped you get it I would appreciate it. Maybe that ‘Ah ha’ moment?

I have no doubts I will be constantly learning as I go. That is why I bought plenty of film for ‘class’

Thank for your time.

don't get discouraged. avery is allergic to heat. I can never do a charger BG without burning it. The craftsman heat gun i normally use does get hotter than most guns though. anyway leave all the excess film and do the h pattern. use baby powder for maximum float on the BG (normally ppl use dryer sheets or bar soap). hold and stretch the end starting in the center and start shrking in large regions with long horzontal passes where ever you are heating the other hand should be pulling on the region. the film will lay do that for top and bottom and cut and wet check like normal. good luck!

Thank You.

my heat gun is originally for shrinking model covering and I do not think it gets as hot as the gun I see in the videos I found. I can burn it if I hold it and it is definitely hotter than a hair dryer.

I had pretty good success on the rear QP glass of the same car and had to shrink some otherwise it would have had fingers.

Since this is the BG and I have others I want to do and I prefer darker, is there a brand of film you might suggest I try that is easier to work with that might give me decent results?

Edited by Smittylube

I searched and again and am still unclear in my understanding.

I read somewhere or saw it in a video about the direction of mounting the tint in relation for shrinking. It says horizontal.

Does this mean only orient the film with the factory cuts top and bottom before cutting the patterns?

So for this bubble shaped back glass maybe it should be vertical or still horizontal?