Chalkboard film - anyone try it?

I would like to know the same for the  "white board film".  What all can it be applied to?  Is it glass only ? 

Edited by Bham

The piece of the white-board film I got, I applied to my wall in my living room.... which was also my office. lol So just a painted surface. It was fairly thick, but I didn't have any problems with bubbles. 

The film itself... I think I had it up for about 9 months.. maybe longer. I wrote on it with a normal white-board type marker, as well as a sharpie permanent marker. I left that writing sit for over 6 months, and it came off with no issues.

I was impressed. I had a normal white-board on another wall above my desk.. but I don't remember trying a perm marker on that. Thinking about it now - I kindof wish I had done both with the same marker just to see if it wouldn't have erased from the normal target white-board. :shrugs:

I should get the chalkboard film tomorrow... I'm going to put it up here just to see how it is... here is not where I want it, so... but I wanna see how well it works. I might go to home depot (or where ever) and get a can of paint that mimics a chalkboard and compare the two. I was looking on amazon and actual chalkboards aren't super expensive, imo.. so not sure the advantage to using the film actually is.

Anyway.... that's the long of it. 😂 

ETA: Oh, and it goes on dry. Which from the description of the chalkboard film, that goes on dry as well. They say you can lightly mist it.... I just installed my piece dry. But it wasn't on glass either. I think if I were to put it on a window, I might lightly mist it just cause.... that's how I'm used to installing.. anything. 

Edited by Roach

Nice,,, Thank you @Roach  :thanks   I can tell you that the paint is just like anything else involving paint.  If not prepped properly and and not enough coats used (not rushing between coats), then it doesn't work or last.  Now if you do it right, it can work rather well.  One coat on an improper surface with the paint stuff just doesn't work out. 

Ok, so I tried the film today. 

Here are some pics of the film next to a chalkboard that my sister has in her kitchen.

The film is very similar in appearance. Writing on it was also very similar. But, when using the eraser, it didn’t wipe clean. It kindof sorta smeared it as you can see. So I just got a wet paper towel and it  wiped clean.

This film is designed to adhere to a wall rather then glass. But, from the Q&A section for it on solyx’s site, they said it can be applied to glass which if you did, they suggest lightly misting it. (You apply it dry when putting it on a wall)

Overall I was pleased with it. I have no clue how it is price wise compared to normal chalkboard. The advantage I can see is when it comes to size. I was looking on amazon and they have different sizes, but not every size. So the film - you can cut exactly the size you want to have. 

chalkboard-film-1.jpg

chalkboard-film-2.jpg

chalkboard-film-3.jpg

chalkboard-film-4.jpg