Recommendations needed: High VLT + Glare Reduction + Visual Clarity?

Tinting a home with pond (water) and mountain views w/ windows facing southwest. Summer late afternoon sun glare is strong (water is to low to reflect into windows). Heat on a few southern most windows are intense so will use darker tint for these since as visuals are not as important as the ones I need recommendations for.

What do you all recommend to get the best combo of (somewhat in this priority order)...

1. daytime visual clarity

2. glare reduction

3. low Internal reflectivity at night (looking out at night is important)

4. IR heat reduction

5. high VLT

considering SunTek ULVDS, opinions on this or better alternatives appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by LTek

You won't get superb glare reduction with a high VLT film. In my opinion it's not worth tackling glare issues with anything lighter than 25%.

I say to offer a 25% spectrally selective film. One of my most popular products is XPEL Clear View Enhanced 25% (Formerly Veloce Temperate 25). People usually shy away from lower VLT films but once it's applied to a room it looks great. Super low interior reflectivity, high IR rejection (82%) and great optical clarity.

I've applied this to countless homes, mostly living rooms and sunrooms, and many have called back and I've applied film to the rest of the glass. Not one complaint that it's too dark. Also, most spectrally selective films are thicker which makes it super easy to work with especially when you're reverse rolling large panes.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, Sterling said:

You won't get superb glare reduction with a high VLT film. In my opinion it's not worth tackling glare issues with anything lighter than 25%.

Could not agree more. Glare is a direct cause of light. Anything lighter then a 25% and glare isn't going to be touched. imo.

Which then leads to #3 - internal glare at night. Anything on glass will generally increase the reflectivity. Some films more then others. Look for something in the 20-25% vlt range with the least internal ref. rate. Unfortunately, the darker to go, the more reflective films tend to be.

It's all a balancing act. Ask to see samples.. Look at the samples both during the day and at night.

In reality, how often are you looking out your windows at night for views?

I recommend you not buy a film product based on near infrared reduction number, rather buy based on TSER (total solar energy rejected) or SHGC (solar heat gain coefficient). The higher the TSER, the better and the lower the SHGC, the better. Both these parameters include near infrared reduction, visible light reduction and ultraviolet light reduction capacity.

Near infrared is not heat; it is part of the electromagnetic radiation produced by the sun. Other radiation in terms of window film performance is visible and ultraviolet light. All three, NIR, VL, and UV, convert to far-infrared once they strike and is absorbed by any material. Far-infrared is known as 'heat'.

Compare the performance parameters of any film product using TSER or SHGC while noting which has the best visible light transmission (VLT) number that may suit your desire.

Personally, I would recommend a dual-reflective film product with a VLT in the range of 25-35% such as can be found in Vista, LLumar, 3M and Suntek brand. Avoid ceramic (including dual-reflective ceramic) if you live in the South, for they carry too high a solar absorption rate that would radiate inward off the surface it is applied to, toward the air conditioned room. Heat always seeks cold. Best to have more solar energy reflected than absorbed.

If the home is in higher elevations, film products with high absorption rates may pose a problem in terms thermal stress on the glazing system except in the case of high performance lowE glazing (aka lowE2, lowE3 or lowE4), which already has great performance values before film is applied.

Good luck.