Tinting RV or other flat glass.

I've been tinting car and suv windows for a year now. I have been using some  non reflective charcoal tints and like the out come. I have been reading online and seen something's that not all auto tint is good on flat glass.

I need to tint some windows on the camper part of my RV. I have already tinted the front truck doors on it which are regular curved auto glass. Should I use something different for the rest of the flat glass windows? They are single pane. I have also been asked to tint the windows on the cab of some heavy equipment which are also flat glass. 

The other thing I read about residential tint is ment to reflect heat because there is no air flow. On the heavy equipment there will be limited air flow because the tractor doesn't move very fast. Would it be beneficial to use something other than NR charcoal tint?

On 7/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, EclipseTS said:

The other thing I read about residential tint is ment to reflect heat because there is no air flow. On the heavy equipment there will be limited air flow because the tractor doesn't move very fast. Would it be beneficial to use something other than NR charcoal tint?

Good for you on doing your research.

Straight-dyed (or NR) film would not serve well for the reasons you've state above. Neither will a ceramic film product because both those type films have high solar absorption rates and rely of air movement across the surface to achieve their stated performance.

If you can get your hands on a dual-reflective product used on flat glass made up of a layer of dyed polyester and a layer of metallized polyester (LLumar DR 35, 3M NV 35 or other like products), it'll serve the purpose much better than the before-mentioned product types. Be careful though, there are some dual-reflective film products that are dye-ceramic combos whereby, again, they will have high absorption rates.

A metallized product (dual or singular) with a solar reflectance value between 25 and 35% is best in an automotive (RV) scenario, so as to avoid the exterior looking too reflective.

Edit: If there is any chance you can get some 3M Crystalline product, it too will serve well ... this is because though Cryustalline has low solar reflectance value, it compensates by having a high near-infrared reflectance capability, while having a smoked glass appearance. I've had Crystalline 40 on my Jeep D&P front doors now for 6, going on, 7 years and it shows no sign of instability of color or fading and no sign of adhesive distortion.

Edited by Tintguy1980