Is this cluster of blurry regions normal on my Model 3 front windshield?

Hi all,

I am in dire need for advises and opinions. I have spent countless hours tinting and re-tinting my front windshield in 3 shops, and in each shop weird things happen.

Previously I went to 2 different tint shops to get my Model 3 tinted for total of 7 times. Both shops had quality issues with the front tint---including numerous light gaps, deep scratches, creases, and weird adhesive distortions (that do not go away after 4 weeks of sun bake). I tried Llumar Stratos 40%, Pinnacle 40% and 3M Ceramic IR 35%, and all had unacceptable problems. Turns out the owners of the shop do not do tints themselves.

I went to the 3rd tint shop and installed 3M Ceramic IR 35%. The tint shop owner was also the tinter, and had no light gaps or deep cuts. However, there are multiple regions on the tint spread across the windshield with haze or blur to it.

• They are most visible near the bottom of the front windshield due to its acute angles. Some are within my view box, and I can see them when looking at lanes and vehicles ahead.
  • I can feel the bumpy textures when I run my fingernails over them.
  • They are shaped somewhat rectangular and sits horizontally, as if they align with the directions of the squeegees.

Questions

1. Do you think the blurry effects are due to adhesive curing? This tint is now 5 days old and was baked daily. Will this go away after a week or so?

2. Are the blurry effects due to ceramic materials inside the films? I cannot visibly see this in my other Honda vehicles with 3M Crystalline 40. If I change the tint to Crystalline or STEK NEX, will this issue go away?

Thanks!

A very tired tint shopper

Video of the hazy/blurry effect can be seen here https://i.imgur.com/EN6NCKc.mp4

Macro shots of the blurry regions are shown below

ltxc8XH.jpg

Edited by badluckmodel3

Tint is to be looked through. Not looked at. 7 times . maybe you need to be reasonable? Its just plastic on Windows put on by a living human.it not going to be perfect. You don't get dirt on the outside sometimes?  Does the sun go down can you see it when you sleep as well. More importantly what are those batteries going to do in ten years. J.J..

12 minutes ago, Melayeze said:

Tint is to be looked through. Not looked at. 7 times . maybe you need to be reasonable? Its just plastic on Windows put on by a living human.it not going to be perfect. You don't get dirt on the outside sometimes?  Does the sun go down can you see it when you sleep as well. More importantly what are those batteries going to do in ten years. J.J..

Obviously your response is solely based on the number of retints, and you did not consider any of the factors I provided that led to those retints.

For the current tint, the distortions are within the depths of field of me during driving, and they distract my focus points every time. Look at the video I provided, which represents the blurry effects across the windshield, then tell me if you think this is acceptable to see during driving.

While you're at the topic of batteries, energy storage decreases by 5% after 100,000 miles, and 20% after 400,000 miles. Maybe you need to be reasonable?

Edited by badluckmodel3

19 hours ago, badluckmodel3 said:

Questions

1. Do you think the blurry effects are due to adhesive curing? This tint is now 5 days old and was baked daily. Will this go away after a week or so?

2. Are the blurry effects due to ceramic materials inside the films? I cannot visibly see this in my other Honda vehicles with 3M Crystalline 40. If I change the tint to Crystalline or STEK NEX, will this issue go away?

Thanks!

A very tired tint shopper

The pics provide served well; it appears some specks are small particle contamination and the distorted areas appear to be light adhesive residue that didn't get cleaned away before film was applied.

It's a tricky situation removing film from windscreens because there is risk in glass breakage using the steam or sweat method to remove film. That leaves the old fashion removal method of simply peeling the film away, which will likely leave every bit of adhesive on the glass and requires much effort to remove every last bit of residue.

If you go for a redo, yet again, consider getting Crystalline. Why? Crystalline is very effective at reflecting the near-infrared (part of solar energy) rather than absorbing it, which occurs with ceramic products.

A friend of mine had his truck windscreen tinted with a light version of Stratos product and wound up having it removed because his front window became a radiator. Stratos is a hjgh solar absorptive product as is Pinnacle and other 'like' ceramic products.

15 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

The pics provide served well; it appears some specks are small particle contamination and the distorted areas appear to be light adhesive residue that didn't get cleaned away before film was applied.

It's a tricky situation removing film from windscreens because there is risk in glass breakage using the steam or sweat method to remove film. That leaves the old fashion removal method of simply peeling the film away, which will likely leave every bit of adhesive on the glass and requires much effort to remove every last bit of residue.

If you go for a redo, yet again, consider getting Crystalline. Why? Crystalline is very effective at reflecting the near-infrared (part of solar energy) rather than absorbing it, which occurs with ceramic products.

A friend of mine had his truck windscreen tinted with a light version of Stratos product and wound up having it removed because his front window became a radiator. Stratos is a hjgh solar absorptive product as is Pinnacle and other 'like' ceramic products.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't notice the dust specks, and I'm fine with it. Regarding the adhesive residues, do you usually use acetone or other solvents to chemically remove the adhesives, or do you scrape it off mechanically with towels or razors?

Good point on your assessment in absorption of ceramics, contrary to reflection with graphene-based films. However this shop only has STEK NEX for graphene-based films, and very few reviews exist in the public forums. Part of the reason for going with 3M Ceramic IR is because my hands feel more heat from the heat lamp when comparing Crystalline versus Ceramic IR, despite the superior IR rejection metrics of crystalline. I suspect ceramics absorb wider range of wavelengths, whereas crystalline reflects narrower window of wavelengths and transmits more light (making them more "clear"?).

21 hours ago, badluckmodel3 said:

1. do you scrape it off mechanically with towels or razors?

2. my hands feel more heat from the heat lamp when comparing

1. I don't scrape any tint these days as I approach 6 years in retirement.

2. Heat lamps do not represent the sun's energy.