Is this cluster of blurry regions normal on my Model 3 front windshield?

On 7/24/2021 at 8:42 AM, pbalentine said:

Tinted 7 times and didnt fry the electronic module on the driver side of the windshield?? Damn thats lucky. Im glad I stopped tinting them. 

Are you referring to the specific module that had issues ridge after Model 3 launch? From my research that specific module seem to be properly epoxied now.

As has been previously stated those distorted areas appear to be residual adhesive from a previous installation. As far as adhesive removal goes it can be accomplished either by chemical or mechanical means, depends on the installer, the window in question,  and extent of the adhesive left behind. If you're otherwise happy with this film and installation, reach out to your installer and see what they recommend going forward. With every removal and reinstallation you increase your chances of having adverse issues such as scratches to the glass or water intrusion to the electronics. The model 3 has modules below each pillar that are notorious for having issues with water intrusion after tinting. Residual adhesive can be difficult to spot during the process because it's clear to start with and once wet all but disappears until it's too late. That said if it were my work I'd want to redo it just from a personal pride and quality standards standpoint, check with your installer. Also worth mentioning is that no installation is every going to be 100% perfect and after 7 rounds and still not being happy, windshield tint just may not be right for you on this vehicle. I say that with the caveat of not having seen any of the previous installations and given what I've seen come out of other shops I certainly can believe that they failed to meet even the most reasonable or loose standards for quality. Hope this helps @badluckmodel3

Edited by highplains
Added tag

44 minutes ago, highplains said:

As has been previously stated those distorted areas appear to be residual adhesive from a previous installation. As far as adhesive removal goes it can be accomplished either by chemical or mechanical means, depends on the installer, the window in question,  and extent of the adhesive left behind. If you're otherwise happy with this film and installation, reach out to your installer and see what they recommend going forward. With every removal and reinstallation you increase your chances of having adverse issues such as scratches to the glass or water intrusion to the electronics. The model 3 has modules below each pillar that are notorious for having issues with water intrusion after tinting. Residual adhesive can be difficult to spot during the process because it's clear to start with and once wet all but disappears until it's too late. That said if it were my work I'd want to redo it just from a personal pride and quality standards standpoint, check with your installer. Also worth mentioning is that no installation is every going to be 100% perfect and after 7 rounds and still not being happy, windshield tint just may not be right for you on this vehicle. I say that with the caveat of not having seen any of the previous installations and given what I've seen come out of other shops I certainly can believe that they failed to meet even the most reasonable or loose standards for quality. Hope this helps @badluckmodel3

Thanks @highplains for the info. The installers are willing to reinstall with STEK NEX. I cannot find many reviews for this film, so I don't know what to expect regarding the quality comparing to 3M or Llumar. I only know it is similar to crystalline, but graphene is just one of those material science hypes that fail to live up to most of the expectations

Here are results of some of the re-tints, which in my non-expert opinion are not acceptable

CUU6362.jpg

Edited by badluckmodel3

@Tintguy1980@highplains

Went back to the shop and re-tint with STEK NEX instead of 3M Ceramic IR at 35%. I observed the whole process. This time, the hazy streaks still exists but in different location. The haze are mostly at the bottom based on my eyes. Thus, we can rule out it being the adhesive. What other possible reasons can this be? Film being over-stretched during shrink?

Note: installer uses baby shampoo as slip solution

Edited by badluckmodel3

On 7/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, badluckmodel3 said:

The installers are willing to reinstall with STEK NEX. I cannot find many reviews for this film, so I don't know what to expect regarding the quality comparing to 3M or Llumar. I only know it is similar to crystalline, but graphene is just one of those material science hypes that fail to live up to most of the expectations

STEK appears to be a new comer to the industry; at least since I retired in 2015. Most likely it is a wannabe film from Asia throwing around marketing hype that amounts to nothing AND in no way will ever compare or compete well to 3M or LLumar products. Those two names have been the standard-bearer for years in the industry.

Definitely residual adhesive at the bottom to the left of the blue marker. Mirror cuts are not normal. May I suggest another shop?

8 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

STEK appears to be a new comer to the industry; at least since I retired in 2015. Most likely it is a wannabe film from Asia throwing around marketing hype that amounts to nothing AND in no way will ever compare or compete well to 3M or LLumar products. Those two names have been the standard-bearer for years in the industry.

Definitely residual adhesive at the bottom to the left of the blue marker. Mirror cuts are not normal. May I suggest another shop?

Yes I did change shop. The images you responded to were from previous 2 shops, with Llumar Stratos/Pinnacle and 3M Ceramic IR. They tried to brush these issues away as they are not in the middle of driver's view box, and that's when I realized they do not have good work ethics.

STEK was installed by the 3rd shop, and had the hazing issue shown in the 1st post in this thread, where you mentioned it could also be caused by "metalizing".