Top window edge gap or shaved ?

Hi all, 

I did try a few searches and the results were so far off the topic, didn't really see any related topics.

I am new here,  and very new to tinting.  I have done only 2 cars so far... practicing before I do my own new truck this weekend.   I do plan to get more local customers, friends, etc.  as I did get a few rolls and need to recover my costs.

On the roll up/down windows.  I have done one with a frame and one car was a frameless window.  On the frameless one, i went with a file / shaved edge instead of a 1/8" gap.   I REALLY like the look and it turned out great ( first time too ).

What my question is on durability of the edge if you go with a shaved edge instead of a 1/8" gap on the top edge of a framed window.     I prefer the look , so was going to do this on my next test car. ( sister in law ).  AND, i will probably do my truck this way too, then i can see personally how it holds up.

On my first car ( daughters car ), i went with a small gap on the back doors, but i didn't heat it to ensure it's cured before I finished the window and it pealed a bit.   I am going to re-do it .  I'll take some close up pictures too.

You can. Dry out and collect the water off the top edge first. It's alot easier if you have the bottom door seal pulled out so you don't crunch up the pattern while getting the water out of the bottom of the film. It gives you a few minutes to let the top tack down before shaving.The top corners are a bit tricky the first few times.

I would recommend practicing on a frameless window first and beware of the top film edge. It's real easy to get a nasty film cut running you fingers down the edge. The good news is you only have to learn that lesson once...or twice depending on your learning curve. I seem to relearn that lesson about once a year...

Edited by Dano
Grammar

Whatever they want, but lately leaving a gap is the quickest for me unless they ask. Like @Dano said the top corners are tricky, i don't cut on the glass i use magic marker for the vertical cut spots. when you're gonna leave like a 1/16 extra to shave or cut i make the cut just a little lower on those 2 corners on the outside of the lines, this way i line up the the 2 corners of the film just below the edge so i'm not digging into the corners trying to shave or file the very edge of the film in the rubber area.

Basically at the corners away from the line where it'll be under the rubber i make a cut from the line outward and slowly down ward so i don't have to dig in there to shave and i get some adjustment using those corners.

Edited by Tint Slayer