Recommendations For Low-E Detector

A couple of dollars spent on a Bic lighter will go far; flick the Bic near the interior glass surface and observe the flame reflection(s). The first one will be the brightest and the others will be dimmer the further out duplicate reflections occur (depending on spacing of a dual pane glazing system).

IF the flame maintains the same color in all reflections, there is no lowE coating. If you see a pinkish, orange, green or bluish-color in a reflected flame, that is where the lowE coating is located. You should see four flames in a dual-pane setting. Most lowE coatings are located on the #2 surface (inner facing surface of the out pane). 1-4 from outside to inside.

Color in the flame reflection can also tell what type coating was used. No, don't ask me to break that down further, it's been too many years since I dispensed this particular information.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, Tintguy1980 said:

A couple of dollars spent on a Bic lighter will go far; flick the Bic near the interior glass surface and observe the flame reflection(s). The first one will be the brightest and the others will be dimmer the further out duplicate reflections occur (depending on spacing of a dual pane glazing system).

IF the flame maintains the same color in all reflections, there is no lowE coating. If you see a pinkish, orange, green or bluish-color in a reflected flame, that is where the lowE coating is located. You should see four flames in a dual-pane setting. Most lowE coatings are located on the #2 surface (inner facing surface of the out pane). 1-4 from outside to inside.

Color in the flame reflection can also tell what type coating was used. No, don't ask me to break that down further, it's been too many years since I dispensed this particular information.

This Hass to be one of the most interesting, tricky, and useful things I have ever learned on this website! Thank you for the tip! I tested it this morning on a tempered double pane insulated unit. Holding the lighter on the outside I saw three flames in the reflection, the middle flame was clearly a different darker red than the other two. Probably exactly what you were referring to then, an indication that one of the inner faces has something on it?

5 hours ago, Mpameno81 said:

I assume there was a fourth flame and I just didn’t look hard enough to notice it. I was kind of at a funny angle, the sun was right behind me and I was talking to the customer at the same time ha. 

It does work better from the inside and,best yet, the window is shaded.