Accidentally rolled window down after tinting

I had my window tint layered over because I wanted it darker. I KNEW BETTER than to roll down the windows but of course I went through the drive thru pharmacy, forgot, and rolled the window all the way down approx 5 hours after having the tint layered. I rolled it back up immediately and it didn’t appear to be coming off or anything, but when I got home I checked it out and there’s around a dozen very thin vertical scratch marks and one 2.5 inch horizontal scratch. I don’t know if they were there before I rolled down the window but I am positive they weren’t there before I took the car to get layered because I closely inspected my driver window before I took it in and cleaned it. There are no scratches on the passenger door. Could rolling the window down have caused them or do you think they were caused by the tinter? I don’t know if something is inside my door that caused the scratches when I rolled it down or what. I can’t even take a pic to show you because the tint is too reflective. It probably shouldn’t bother me but it does. I can’t feel the scratches when I touch them and I can barely see them from inside the window but they are very noticeable from the outside, which is weird. I’m not even sure if it’s the tint that scratched or the window itself but I guess the only way to find out would be to have both layers of tint taken off and redone. To be fair, it’s extremely sunny out which probably makes them more noticeable. Does anybody know if there’s another way to remove those scrapes?  Common sense tells me if rolling down the window caused the scratches I should be able to feel them with my finger right? This really sucks because I love the shade, it’s exactly what I wanted and could only be achieved by layering. I’d guess they’re probably around 10%. 

Edited by Fozzymoto
Grammar

3 minutes ago, Fozzymoto said:

I had my window tint layered over because I wanted it darker. I KNEW BETTER than to roll down the windows but of course I went through the drive thru pharmacy, forgot, and rolled the window all the way down approx 5 hours after having the tint layered. I rolled it back up immediately and it didn’t appear to be coming off or anything, but when I got home I checked it out and there’s around a dozen very thin vertical scratch marks and one 2.5 inch horizontal scratch. I don’t know if they were there before I rolled down the window but I am positive they weren’t there before I took the car to get layered because I closely inspected my driver window before I took it in and cleaned it. There are no scratches on the passenger door. Could rolling the window down have caused them or do you think they were caused by the tinter? I don’t know if something is inside my door that caused the scratches when I rolled it down or what. I can’t even take a pic to show you because the tint is too reflective. It probably shouldn’t bother me but it does. I can’t feel the scratches when I touch them and I can barely see them from inside the window but they are very noticeable from the outside, which his weird. I’m not even sure if it’s the tint that scratched or the window itself but I guess the only way to find out would be to have both layers of tint taken off and redone. To be fair, it’s extremely sunny out which probably makes them more noticeable. Does anybody know if there’s another way to remove those scrapes?  Common sense tells me if rolling down the window caused the scratches I should be able to feel them with my finger right? This really sucks because I love the shade, it’s exactly what I wanted and could only be achieved by layering. I’d guess they’re probably around 10%. 

Once I’m certain the windows are completely cured I’m going to try to see if they could be buffed out, or I could just live with it I guess. I don’t think it’s a coincidence though that they’re only on the driver side window that I stupidly rolled down after being told not to. I should probably find out if something is inside the door itself that’s causing the scrapes right? 

Okay so a buddy came by and checked it out and he said he’s nearly certain that it’s on the outside of the window most likely from debris or something inside the door. He doesn’t think anything can be done about it but I’m pretty sure there has to be a way to clear the debris out… any suggestions? 

Just never double layer. You cant clean the window well with a layer of tint and the top edge will likely overlap or underlap. Also, whenever I do removals with the double layer, Ive had the second layer practically fall off like it wasnt sticking. I guess thats why film is made to stick to glass, not another layer of tint.

If you rolled it down an back up an seen scratches the debris that’s scratching it is in your bottom seal for the window, you could pop it out an try to clean it but trust me you have so many microscopic particles in that seal you’ll never get it clean. Ive tinted brand new cars/trucks with less then 10 miles on them an have had people calling back asking what the vertical scratches are. Especially having double layer you have double the thickness, meaning that brings the tint out further into the seal to rub on. For the horizontal scratch more then likely it was there before an you didn’t notice it until you got the xtra layer put on, A cars glass can look relatively scratch free an the second you put tint on it it’ll show up every flaw in the window 

Edited by MaxxedOutTint

Also want to add you said you can’t feel the scratches, so that’s even more then likely on your first layer of tint, it’s kinda a live with it or do one layer of tint really

adding to it again sorry haha 

if your guessing your windows are 10% with two layers of film, why didn’t you just have someone install 5% film to begin with? It would be even darker an more happy by the sounds of it

Edited by MaxxedOutTint