"Stripes" appear when the rear window gets foggy

Hello,

I made a window tint on a professional. The problem is that in the first place, I saw on the rear window some sort of "stripes" in a sunlight. As if there were water runoff. He said he fixed them and also said he couldn’t see them anymore even in the vapor. Now they are no longer visible in sunlight, but when the rear window gets foggy, they are still somehow visible. What are they? I haven't seen them before the window tint. But can they even be due to the window tint, because of course the rear window is fogged only from the outside and the tint is placed in interior/inside side of the rear window?

Here some pics of your mom:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BMW_Marcus

That is what is called "ghosting" or ghost marks, from the heat gun or torch when shrinking the film to fit the glass.  

When we use heat to manipulate the film and make it fit the windows, some films leave these marks due to the heat changing the structure of the film slightly.  Cheaper films and ceramic films tend to have this issue.   

Honestly unless your windows are always foggy it really shouldn't bother you otherwise.  (unless you focus on it because you know it there).  

On 11/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, Bham said:

That is what is called "ghosting" or ghost marks, from the heat gun or torch when shrinking the film to fit the glass.  

When we use heat to manipulate the film and make it fit the windows, some films leave these marks due to the heat changing the structure of the film slightly.  Cheaper films and ceramic films tend to have this issue.   

Honestly unless your windows are always foggy it really shouldn't bother you otherwise.  (unless you focus on it because you know it there).  

Well, your mom

Edited by BMW_Marcus

Ghosting can technically happen with any film.

If you had Global Ceramic installed and the installer used a torch then yes, ghosting can happen.  Overstressing the film with to much heat instead of using a less intense shrink method can cause this.   I use Global daily and don't have ghost issues and if I do they aren't bad enough for anyone to complain.  

As for your vehicle.  Difficulty is partly on the experience of the installer.  That is not that difficult of an install, in my opinion.  My other opinion is that the installer was trying to shrink to much to fast and over stressed the film.  

17 hours ago, BMW_Marcus said:

Hello,

I made a window tint on a professional. The problem is that in the first place, I saw on the rear window some sort of "stripes" in a sunlight. As if there were water runoff. He said he fixed them and also said he couldn’t see them anymore even in the vapor. Now they are no longer visible in sunlight, but when the rear window gets foggy, they are still somehow visible. What are they? I haven't seen them before the window tint. But can they even be due to the window tint, because of course the rear window is fogged only from the outside and the tint is placed in interior/inside side of the rear window?

Here some pics:

https://i.ibb.co/XC3jxQd/20211102-163554.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/yhWv111/20211102-163646.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I believe that’s some sort of chemical somebody used in the past that stained that glass, and just dried out but still shows up with the fog. I’d look into chemicals that stain glass and see what’s out there. I don’t believe that’s a defect either from the factory or something you did. That’s my theory