Pre-cutting BG pattern before shrinking

Hey all,

I'm trying to improve my speed on back glasses.

One thing I've heard people doing is pre-cutting their tint to be ready to throw on, before shrinking. That way there is no need to custom fit the shrunk tint to the window.

I typically cut the tint to the rough shape of the window which allows for some wiggle room when shrinking, but I then need to custom fit the tint on the glass afterward which can be a little time consuming.

Has anyone tried this? If so, is it worthwhile, or, are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Cheers.

You still need to cut it, either before or after shrinking. To get an accurate cut it's better to have the film laying flat on the glass in final position.

If you're running your film through a plotter first I wouldn't peel away the excess until after the shrink otherwise the edge might furl and burn. Then you may be left with a short pattern.:twocents

If you try to precut to fit before shrinking, there is NO room for error.  Most errors come at the end of the shrink not the beginning(i.e. = where the edge of your pattern is has the most room for mistakes).  Most cars leave enough room around the edges to be able to shift the pattern if there is a mistake at the end of the shrink.  Not possible if you precut before you shrink.  

I always shrink then cut the pattern. The time you may save isn't worth the potential goof up. Also, on difficult back glasses its nice to have play room to move your pattern.