Plotter Confusion NOOB

I'm looking into to investing in a plotter but cant find basic information. I dont know how plotters work at all. 

Questions:

1. Does a plotter just plug into the wall with a power cord or is there an additional cord like LAN cables or something?

2. If I don't have an account with a major film supplier (ex. Xpel) how do I get the software or database for the computer cut patterns?

3.  How would I connect my computer to the plotter to send the pattern info to cut?

4. If I have an issue with the plotter that needs to be dealt with in person do I call the company that i bought it from customer's service or is thier buisnesses that offer service to help with printers and plotters?

5. Are viynl plotters and window tint plotter the same or universal?

6. I see window tint/viynl plotters on Alibaba in China for cheap, is this something I should look into buying?

7. Is there a online source where I can educate myself more on tint plotters?

8. Any reccomended where to buy plotters if located in Canada?

9. What brand plotter should I get to ensure patter software are compatible with the plotter?

Thank you

Edited by Young Tinter

I would recommend a roland or an older graphtech (fc7000, fc 8000, fc8600) if you can find one. The run forever. These are compatible with CorelDraw and Adobe for basic art. Just about all the film suppliers have a cutting program for car patterns. Get a 60" so you can pass thru wrap film and PPF. 

18 hours ago, Young Tinter said:

I'm looking into to investing in a plotter but cant find basic information. I dont know how plotters work at all. 

Questions:

1. Does a plotter just plug into the wall with a power cord or is there an additional cord like LAN cables or something?

Power cord yes and a 15-25' printer type cord for computer connect (plotters are simply large printers using a blade rather than ink).

2. If I don't have an account with a major film supplier (ex. Xpel) how do I get the software or database for the computer cut patterns?

Check with your film supplier for computer cut film software and subscription costs.

3.  How would I connect my computer to the plotter to send the pattern info to cut?

See #1

4. If I have an issue with the plotter that needs to be dealt with in person do I call the company that i bought it from customer's service or is thier buisnesses that offer service to help with printers and plotters?

If your film supplier sells plotter and software they are likely your go to for plotter issues. Eastman (LLumar Film has a dept dedicated to patterns and plotters).

5. Are viynl plotters and window tint plotter the same or universal?

Pretty much; it's all about having the plotter set up to cut different materials. Some plotters you can select 1-5 (possibly more) different blade pressure settings. Critical to select blade pressure before cutting selected material.

6. I see window tint/viynl plotters on Alibaba in China for cheap, is this something I should look into buying?

Stick to software and patterns from US/Canada to ensure quality of fit on car models sold in NA.

7. Is there a online source where I can educate myself more on tint plotters?

Tintdude.com or look for vinyl discussion boards.

8. Any reccomended where to buy plotters if located in Canada?

Buying a plotter from a company not in window film may lead to difficulties since plotters (such as those sold through LLumar) have a motherboard specified for window film pattern software use (Roland, Graphtech).

9. What brand plotter should I get to ensure pattern software is compatible with the plotter?

See #8

There are times when some peeps on this board remind me of my wife when it comes to answering questions; they seem to skirt getting direct to the point aka answer(s). 😆

Edited by Tintguy1980

7 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

Power cord yes and a 15-25' printer type cord for computer connect (plotters are simply large printers using a blade rather than ink).

Check with your film supplier for computer cut film software and subscription costs.

See #1

If your film supplier sells plotter and software they are likely you go to for plotter issues. Eastman (LLumar Film has a dept dedicated to patterns and plotters).

Pretty mush; it's all about having the plotter set up to cut different materials. Some plotters you can select 1-5 (possibly more) different blade pressure settings. Critical to select blade pressure before cutting selected material.

Stick to software and patterns from US/Canada to ensure quality of fit on car models sold in NA.

There are times when some peeps on this board remind me of my wife when it comes to answering questions; they seem to skirt getting direct to the point aka answer(s). 😆

👏👏👏